Children and woodworking

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2005
      I had an apparently angry mother approach me at Mid-Winter A & S...
      Snapping her finger in my face, she said "I just want you to
      know....it's ALL Your fault!!!!"
      (Huh ?)
      That her 10 year old daughter has finally decided on a Art/craft to
      learn....
      you guessed it.
      woodcarving.
      the child has gotten herself a piece of wood and an el-cheapo set of
      Chinese carving tools....and is very distressed that they don't co-
      operate with her like mine do.
      They CAN work.
      someone just needs to take the time to re-sharpen them....they're
      mostly not working because they're dull and there hasn't been the
      best of care taken to keep the cutting edges uniform.
      But I don't blame her.
      I have a bunch of the sets.
      I'd planned to use them to teach with, but never got around to the
      painstaking task of hand-resharpening them....at this point, I'd
      forego my usual revulsion to electric apprenticed sharpening tools,
      if I only knew how to use them in the first place....
      Shara
      btw, our Bill McNutt is Quite the bard/story-teller !!!! I had the
      pleasure of his verbal talents this past weekend at Mistress
      Christianna's BD party.......and there I had thought him a just
      dreary ole woodworker, when he truely had a delightful sense of
      humor and gift for weaving a story that kept one perched on the edge
      of their seat.....I confess, I haven't enjoyed stories that well
      done, in many a year !!
      Again, thankyou for making the evening one to remember.
      S.