children and wood working

  • maf@gleichen.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2005
      Ok this is kind of funny,

      This morning my little one (next week she will be 18 months) figured out how to turn a door knob (time to start locking doors) and got into my shop. When I caught upto her about 5 minutes later, she had my wooden mallet, a 1" framing chisel (she had taken the tip cover off too) and was holding the chisel against a wooden plank and hitting it with the mallet. He technique was very good, my wife figures I should have gone and gotten the camera... but I keep the chisels very sharp.

      Mark / Cered
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2005
        Oh great!

        You trying to give me someting
        to look forward to?

        --- maf@... wrote:

        > Ok this is kind of funny,
        >

        > This morning my little one (next week she will be 18
        > months) figured out how to turn a door knob (time to
        > start locking doors) and got into my shop. When I
        > caught upto her about 5 minutes later, she had my
        > wooden mallet, a 1" framing chisel (she had taken
        > the tip cover off too) and was holding the chisel
        > against a wooden plank and hitting it with the
        > mallet. He technique was very good, my wife figures
        > I should have gone and gotten the camera... but I
        > keep the chisels very sharp.
        >

        > Mark / Cered

        =====

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2005
          Hey, she's showing all the right instincts: starting with hand tools
          rather than heading straight for the table saw, good technique, proper
          chisel for mallet work . . .

          I think it's a great starting point for only 18 months.

          This is GOOD news.

          Master Will
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          =====