Frame and Panel Chest

  • Justus Koshiol
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2005
      I've posted some pictures of a chest I completed recently on my
      personal site.

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/justus1199/album?.dir=92f5&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/justus1199/my_photos

      The chest was worked from rough stock entirely by hand. I cut
      the pieces out to rough dimensions on the band saw. Everything
      was squared and and thicknessed by hand, all the joinery was
      done by hand as well. The walnut panels are all two pieces and
      book-matched. I need to get some more close up pictures of the
      finished chest and will post them later.
      For the hand smoothing vs. sandpaper argument, you can see
      that the walnut panels have a nice sheen even before they were
      finished.

      The biggest mistake I made, (and boy was it!) I got my witness
      marks turned around, and the front frame and panel unit is
      installed upside down. (All the cathedral figure on the panels
      is pointing down)

      The chest was made as a gift for Baron Rodrigo Falcone as a
      departing Gift.

      Lord Justus fils de Ternon
    • Eric Weiss
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2005
        The chest is beautiful! A fine job and quite a wondeful gift. You did yourself proud-Eric

      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2005
          An excellent job, something your Baron will enjoy for many many years.
          Very cool!

          -Rhys