Re: [MedievalSawdust] antiquities and making it look older

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
      Brusi,

      >Have you looked at the book by Leonard Lee on sharpening?

      No, I haven't felt the need; never had much trouble getting things
      sharp. But I'm seeing a lot of references to it and beginning to
      understand there's more to it than just how to sharpen. Maybe I'll look
      for a cheap used copy.

      > He goes into some
      >detail on the types of wood failure/cutting from chisels, planes & scrapers
      >- type 1 & type 2 as they are referred to. At the microscopic level I think
      >the surface difference is mainly due to the cutting angle of the blade &
      >wether there is a 'mouth' opening to confine the shaving.

      Yes, and there's also a difference in the way they are used, which ought to
      leave traces in the wood.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works