Group Project

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2005
      Greetings ya'll...

      To all the SCA types on the list (... and those who may be at some point)...

      Over this last weekend I had a VERY interesting conversation with a lady here in the ol' Middle Kingdom who is an architect by trade... and has an interest in medieval architecture...  What she has in mind is laying out a medieval cathedral... full size and using period techniques.  The idea is to do this at Pennsic.

      Right now the idea is in its infancy... we're trying to determine if there is enough interest to get the bodies necessary to do this.  According to her it would take about 50 people...  to do it in a reasonable time...  30 in somewhat longer time... and... well, you get the picture.  She knows some and I said I'd throw this idea out on the list to see if ya'll might have some interest in participating.  (Who knows... I might video tape it and burn some DVDs or see if I can't put it up on the web...).

      Now... IF all goes well... AND we get the people... AND Pennsic cooperates... what she would really like to do... and it could be really cool, would be to set all the stakes and stuff and then do a candle lighting at night...

      We're talking a 300' long thingie here...

      ... any interest?

      Oh...  in addtion, there may be some wooden tools and things that might need to be constructed...  THAT would fit into what we're doin'...

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 2005

        I’m interested.

        Master Will, Meridies

[...]

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2005
          Will it have a bell tower?  Will it be stone?  Will it have a BIG BELL?  What period of structure?  Will it have an Iron or Bronze bell?

          Igor of Ferncliff
          Fromer Bell ringer for J.T. S.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2005
            Winking smiley emoticon   Only ding-a-lings will be those working on the project... sorry...

            Remember... we're only doing the surveying and layout that would be preparatory for construction...  no digging of footings (the Coopers might get upset... and it would ruin the battlefield)... no stone carving (the chips are hard on the fighter's feet)... no bells...

            Chas.

            Will it have a bell tower?  Will it be stone?  Will it have a BIG BELL?  What period of structure?  Will it have an Iron or Bronze bell?

            Igor of Ferncliff
            Fromer Bell ringer for J.T. S.
          • Craig Robert Pierpont
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
              I'm very interested. I probably won't be at Pennsic this year, but maybe I can help with the design work or some of the off-site prep work.
              Craig Robert

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
                Sounds like fun. If I am at Pennsic, I will certainly devote time to it.

                --
                -Rhys
              • Scott Cozad
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 9, 2005
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                  <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                  > Greetings ya'll...
                  >
                  > To all the SCA types on the list (... and those who may be at some
                  point)...

                  > Over this last weekend I had a VERY interesting conversation with a
                  lady here in the ol' Middle Kingdom who is an architect by trade...
                  and has an interest in medieval architecture... What she has in mind
                  is laying out a medieval cathedral... full size and using period
                  techniques. The idea is to do this at Pennsic.

                  > Right now the idea is in its infancy... we're trying to determine if
                  there is enough interest to get the bodies necessary to do this.
                  According to her it would take about 50 people... to do it in a
                  reasonable time... 30 in somewhat longer time... and... well, you get
                  the picture. She knows some and I said I'd throw this idea out on the
                  list to see if ya'll might have some interest in participating. (Who
                  knows... I might video tape it and burn some DVDs or see if I can't
                  put it up on the web...).

                  > Now... IF all goes well... AND we get the people... AND Pennsic
                  cooperates... what she would really like to do... and it could be
                  really cool, would be to set all the stakes and stuff and then do a
                  candle lighting at night...

                  > We're talking a 300' long thingie here...
                  >
                  > .. any interest?
                  >
                  > Oh... in addtion, there may be some wooden tools and things that
                  might need to be constructed... THAT would fit into what we're doin'...

                  Edward:
                  This sounds like a really cool idea. I would be all for it. I think
                  even if we were to work some timbers into some sort of frame using
                  peroid techniques would be cool.

                  Another idea that could work as well is to see about adding onto the
                  castle using period techniques and tools. That would be cool I think.

                  Pax,
                  Edward de Clare
                • toomuch87505
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
                    I might be interested in helping out if this project is feasible. I
                    have some concerns, one how much time would be required from each
                    person, who would be responsible for the cost of such a project and
                    who would benefit from the building (would this become a private
                    residence).

                    Theresa

                    <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                    > Greetings ya'll...
                    >
                    > To all the SCA types on the list (... and those who may be at some
                    point)...

                    > Over this last weekend I had a VERY interesting conversation with
                    a lady here in the ol' Middle Kingdom who is an architect by
                    trade... and has an interest in medieval architecture... What she
                    has in mind is laying out a medieval cathedral... full size and
                    using period techniques. The idea is to do this at Pennsic.

                    > Right now the idea is in its infancy... we're trying to determine
                    if there is enough interest to get the bodies necessary to do this.
                    According to her it would take about 50 people... to do it in a
                    reasonable time... 30 in somewhat longer time... and... well, you
                    get the picture. She knows some and I said I'd throw this idea out
                    on the list to see if ya'll might have some interest in
                    participating. (Who knows... I might video tape it and burn some
                    DVDs or see if I can't put it up on the web...).

                    > Now... IF all goes well... AND we get the people... AND Pennsic
                    cooperates... what she would really like to do... and it could be
                    really cool, would be to set all the stakes and stuff and then do a
                    candle lighting at night...

                    > We're talking a 300' long thingie here...
                    >
                    > .. any interest?
                    >
                    > Oh... in addtion, there may be some wooden tools and things that
                    might need to be constructed... THAT would fit into what we're
                    doin'...

                    > Chas.
                  • James Winkler
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
                      Well... I thank ya'all for the interest... but...  I've got to clear up a misconception that ya'll seem to be having...

                      WE ARE NOT *BUILDING* A CATHEDRAL...  we would be the crew working for the architect to LAY OUT a building...  current plans are a 300 foot long cathedral...  ... and, while if MIGHT be cool to build one... ummm...  300 feet of cathedral is an expensive and time intensive project...  and beyond my attention span...  Winking smiley emoticon

                      No, the idea is to do the surveying and staking out AS IF we were going to be building one...  I'm thinkin' that being a part of the process and observing the techniques used could be cool...   and, there may be some wooden surveyors devices (a learning curve thing) to be constructed...

                      Tell ya'll what...  I'll get the person who wants to do this on this list and we can kick it around with her...

                      Chas.

                      =======================

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 10, 2005
                        > No, the idea is to do the surveying and staking out
                        > AS IF we were going to be building one...

                        go to your bookshelf....

                        Get ypur copy of David McCauley's Cathedral

                        Read to page 18.

                        STOP. ;)

                        =====

                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                      • John LaTorre
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 11, 2005
                          Conal O'hAirt wrote:

                          > > No, the idea is to do the surveying and staking out
                          > > AS IF we were going to be building one...
                          >
                          > go to your bookshelf....
                          >
                          > Get ypur copy of David McCauley's Cathedral
                          >
                          > Read to page 18.
                          >
                          > STOP. ;)

                          Is that the page where they start evicting everybody who's in the way of the
                          proposed cathedral site, and tear everything down?

                          That'd go over real well at Pennsic...

                          Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)