Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Newbie looking for a clue

  • Gary Halstead
    Message 1 of 66 , Feb 2, 2005
      Ah, the incestuous nature of the historic woodworking community. :)

      The "guy at Plimoth Plantation" is Peter Follansbee, who's one of my
      major sources of info on green woodworking and the co-author of the
      article Thomas pointed to.

      Ranulf

      Tim Bray wrote:

      >> That said, I'm fairly sure there
      >>was a green woodworking tradition in England given the speed at which
      >>17th c. American joiners were able to produce impressive pieces.
      >

      > The guy at Plimoth Plantation rives and rough-shapes his pieces green, then
      > puts them aside to dry while he works on other projects. Having a whole
      > series of projects going at once means he can wait days or weeks for a
      > panel to dry, without losing productivity. The wood actually gets worked
      > at several stages in the drying process, because certain operations are
      > easiest when the wood is partially dry (carving, for example). Of course
      > it never is what we would call completely dry - that takes months - but it
      > gets dry enough for frame-and-panel joinery, with drawboring, using
      > relatively thin riven planks. (cf. the article Thomas Case pointed to.)
      >
      > I doubt the same technique would work with the thick-section lumber and
      > cross-grain joinery on a clamped-front chest, for example.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Colin
      >

      > Albion Works
      > Furniture and Accessories
      > For the Medievalist!
      > http://www.albionworks.net
      > http://www.albionworks.com
      Ah
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 66 of 66 , Feb 5, 2005
        Shoes!!! wood shoe soles?!! did you see any shoes? Were they all turn shoe
        ?

        James Cunningham
        Slipper Maker