Re: [MedievalSawdust] Green vs. dry (was: Re: Newbie looking for a clue

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 66 , Feb 2, 2005
      >The pin in the drawbore will continue to draw the tenon tighter as the
      >mortise shrinks. there tenon doesn't bottom out on a greenwood mortise
      >and tenon joint. So the face shoulder stays tight against the motise piece.

      Well, okay then, getting back to the original question that started us off
      on this... how can you tell from looking at such a joint 500 years later,
      whether it was originally assembled green or dry? If the joint is tight,
      it could have been done either way. (The tenon doesn't bottom out on a dry
      M&T joint either, and a drawbored peg will hold it just as tight if not
      tighter.)

      >Also, the use of riven wood is important. Less shrinkage/warpage in
      >pieces that are oriented similarly to quartersawn.

      Yes, that's a given. But "less" is still not "zero." So I still want to
      know how you can look at a joint and determine that it was assembled green.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 66 of 66 , Feb 5, 2005
        Shoes!!! wood shoe soles?!! did you see any shoes? Were they all turn shoe
        ?

        James Cunningham
        Slipper Maker