Re: [MedievalSawdust] Uses for sand?

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 138 , Feb 1, 2005
      The Black Prince did not have to worry about either...he (make that his shield) just had to look good. ie: pratice shield and parade shield. The practice shield did not get saved as an antique(sp) the parade shild did.

      James Cunningham
      the idea of somebody beating on a plaster and glue mix and chunks of it flying around the list probably wouldn't make the marshals happy...  and I'd have to keep repairing it...  which wouldn't make me happy...

      Chas.
    • Tim Bray
      Message 138 of 138 , Feb 11, 2005
        >Question When was French polish with rotten stone and pumis(sp) start being
        >used?

        18th c. is the earliest I've seen reference to it.

        French polishing uses shellac. The earliest English reference to shellac
        appears to be a 1594 description by a fellow travelling in India, who saw
        the locals using it. I have no idea if the Italians or other Europeans
        were using it before then - it's quite possible, as the English were
        notoriously backward about such things.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works