RE: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 649

  • maeryk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Never having seen or heard of this shield.. is it possible the lion thingy
      was actually reverse tooled (repousse style) into the leather and the Gesso
      was used either behind it to keep it proud (rather than on the surface) or
      for
      Ornamentation in the depth?

      Maeryk

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:33:17 -0600
      From: "James Winkler" <jrwinkler@...>
      Subject: Re: Uses for sand?

      >""Fragments from Ballatcare, Man suggest that the
      >leather facing of this shield was painted with
      >black and red patterns on a white background. It
      >was suggested that gesso (organic matrix, such
      >as egg yolk) paint was used (Bersu and Wilson 1966).

      Colin wrote, "This is confusing... I thought gesso was the substance used to
      prepare the
      ground before paint was applied, but this sentence seems to say that gesso
      is a type of paint. Can someone clear that one up?"

      Edward the Black Prince's shield (the one is given this treatment (gesso)...
      basically I'm guessing that there may be an 'and' missing in the citation
      ("gesso and paint"). The Black Prince's shield was laid up planks covered
      with linen (similar to panel lay up for painters... hummm....) and then
      covered with leather. Over this, gesso was used to 'sculpt' a 3-D bas
      relief kinda' thing so that the lion stood proud from the face... this was
      then painted...

      I've got a shield built up this way... but without the gesso... the idea of
      somebody beating on a plaster and glue mix and chunks of it flying around
      the list probably wouldn't make the marshals happy... and I'd have to keep
      repairing it... which wouldn't make me happy...

      Chas.

      [This message contained attachments]