Re: [MedievalSawdust] Uses for sand?

  • Gary Halstead
    Message 1 of 138 , Feb 1, 2005
      Someone's gotten their art terms mixed up. Gesso is a plasterish
      material that paint is applied to. The organic protein matrix used to
      bind paint to its background is tempera.

      Ranulf

      Tim Bray wrote:

      >>""Fragments from Ballatcare, Man suggest that the
      >>leather facing of this shield was painted with
      >>black and red patterns on a white background. It
      >>was suggested that gesso (organic matrix, such
      >>as egg yolk) paint was used (Bersu and Wilson 1966).
      >

      > This is confusing... I thought gesso was the substance used to prepare the
      > ground before paint was applied, but this sentence seems to say that gesso
      > is a type of paint. Can someone clear that one up?
      >
      > In any case, this is clearly not a case of paint applied directly to wood,
      > but to a leather facing.
      >

      >>Traces of white paint were found on a wooden
      >>fragment
      >
      >>from the Manx Cronk Moar shield(Bersu and Wilson
      >
      >>1966)."
      >

      > So, was this paint applied directly to the wood, or on a gesso ground?
      >
      > We're constantly running into this problem with archaeological reports:
      > they don't include enough information to answer questions that never
      > occurred to the archaeologists.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Colin
      >

      > Albion Works
      > Furniture and Accessories
      > For the Medievalist!
      > http://www.albionworks.net
      > http://www.albionworks.com
    • Tim Bray
      Message 138 of 138 , Feb 11, 2005
        >Question When was French polish with rotten stone and pumis(sp) start being
        >used?

        18th c. is the earliest I've seen reference to it.

        French polishing uses shellac. The earliest English reference to shellac
        appears to be a 1594 description by a fellow travelling in India, who saw
        the locals using it. I have no idea if the Italians or other Europeans
        were using it before then - it's quite possible, as the English were
        notoriously backward about such things.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works