Re: [MedievalSawdust] Uses for sand?

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 138 , Feb 1, 2005
      OK, I was going to be just a lurker here, but now I have to pipe in... I'm a calligrapher and illuminator primarily (that is what my Laurel is in, by the way), and this comment about gesso being made with a matrix of egg yolk just got to me <smile>.

      Gesso is plaster based... tempera paints are egg yolk based... neither the twain shall meet.  Gesso was maybe used on wood before painting, that I don't have enough knowledge of first hand to say for sure, but it is a reasonable assumption... but to say that gesso and egg tempera are the same is just so wrong.  Now, it is possible that the paint on these shields was a form of egg tempera and that they were white (which would probably have a chalk or white lead basis), but not that they made of gesso.

      Anyone who wants to see my few wood projects can go to my web site and look at my encampment (Good Friends Camp)... I was a carpenter in the Air Force for my first 5 years (out of a total of 20), so I really love playing with wood.

      Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
      Middle Kingdom

      The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

      >""Fragments from Ballatcare, Man suggest that the
      >leather facing of this shield was painted with
      >black and red patterns on a white background. It
      >was suggested that gesso (organic matrix, such
      >as egg yolk) paint was used (Bersu and Wilson 1966).

      This is confusing... I thought gesso was the substance used to prepare the
      ground before paint was applied, but this sentence seems to say that gesso
      is a type of paint.   Can someone clear that one up?

    • Tim Bray
      Message 138 of 138 , Feb 11, 2005
        >Question When was French polish with rotten stone and pumis(sp) start being
        >used?

        18th c. is the earliest I've seen reference to it.

        French polishing uses shellac. The earliest English reference to shellac
        appears to be a 1594 description by a fellow travelling in India, who saw
        the locals using it. I have no idea if the Italians or other Europeans
        were using it before then - it's quite possible, as the English were
        notoriously backward about such things.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works