Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Uses for sand?

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 138 , Feb 1, 2005
      > pieces we perceive as 'old' would have been modern to them.

      Not necessarily. I don't think the issue is whether Rennaissance man
      thought medieval furniture was old or modern, but whether it was worth
      preserving.

      Ulrich

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Tim Bray
      Message 138 of 138 , Feb 11, 2005
        >Question When was French polish with rotten stone and pumis(sp) start being
        >used?

        18th c. is the earliest I've seen reference to it.

        French polishing uses shellac. The earliest English reference to shellac
        appears to be a 1594 description by a fellow travelling in India, who saw
        the locals using it. I have no idea if the Italians or other Europeans
        were using it before then - it's quite possible, as the English were
        notoriously backward about such things.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works