Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Uses for sand?

  • maf@gleichen.ca
    Message 1 of 138 , Feb 1, 2005
      I had a thought, is there any period evidence to 'antiquing'? My mother used
      sand to put scrathces in a modern piece so it would look older and match the
      rest of the true antiques in the room.

      The idea of making something appear to be something else more valuable to
      soak some one seems to be very old. I have a reference to the oldest
      countrfeit coin being found in greece and it is less than 5 years newer than
      when the greeks started using coins.

      Just a though.

      Cered
    • Tim Bray
      Message 138 of 138 , Feb 11, 2005
        >Question When was French polish with rotten stone and pumis(sp) start being
        >used?

        18th c. is the earliest I've seen reference to it.

        French polishing uses shellac. The earliest English reference to shellac
        appears to be a 1594 description by a fellow travelling in India, who saw
        the locals using it. I have no idea if the Italians or other Europeans
        were using it before then - it's quite possible, as the English were
        notoriously backward about such things.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works