Looking for a broad hatchet (response)

  • Justus Koshiol
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2005
      Chris,

      I know the broad hatchet that you are talking about from
      Highland Hardware. It is a pretty inexpensive (and by that I
      mean cheap) tool, but it is the only commercially made broad
      hatchet that I have found. It has a single bevel to the left for
      right hand use, and a painted wood handle.

      I would recomend re-filing the edge of a "shingling hatchet"
      You can find them at any hardware store, they often have a
      hammer head on one side and a hatchet face on the other. If you
      do this with a power grinder, be careful not to over heat the
      edge. I have a couple of broad hatchets that I have made this
      way, and I'm quite happy with them.

      Another source is a company called Gr�nsfors Bruks, (I think
      Highland Hardware still carries their axes.)

      http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/

      I don't think they make a single beveled broad hatchet anymore,
      but they do make several broad axes. I have a carving hatchet
      from them that works very well for broad hatchet work. It is has
      a very steep double bevel, that is actually the Swedish style of
      broad axe and hatchet.

      Justus