introduction

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2002
      Hello, and greetings to the group.

      I am Charlie, and I belong to a small medieval living history group.
      I am building my kit from the ground up. I should say kits, because I
      am developing two characters so as to be able to contribute to the
      variety of demos my group does. I am developing a Norseman circa 1000
      AD who is in the process of moving to Greenland. The other character
      is an English peasant living near York circa 1200 AD.
      The Norseman was my first choice, but we had a demo for a group of
      sixth graders who had been reading stories in Robin Hood's era, so
      Harry Fowler the freeman peasant employed by the Percy family came
      into being.

      I am interested in building modest seating and storage for these
      characters, as neither of them would be nobly equipped.

      The question I would like to ask of the group is this: I am
      preparing to make some stools on the Norse pattern (link)

      http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

      In this article, the author did not mention splitting the end of the
      legs inserted into the seat and pushing a wedge into the slit once
      the leg was inserted in order to spread the inserted end and
      strengthen the join. Does anybody know if this was done in the
      (early) Medieval period?

      Thanks in advance for your answer.

      -Charlie