Saw buying help (modern tools)

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
      Ok, not promising that I will listen to the advice, but I wanted to
      ask a little.

      I'm in the market for a new tablesaw because my current one is old and
      frustrates me more than helps. I'm also in the market for a new
      bandsaw because my current one's motor died a horrible death, and it
      was a cheap bandsaw, and I want to just replace it.

      I have done some looking, and have decided upon a few options/models
      that I am looking at. But before there, here is the quick description
      of what I do, in order for advice to be given well:

      I mostly make crossbows (http://crossbows.biz/), which the bandsaw is
      quite OFTEN used in, I also do projects around the house, and have
      been getting into more and more home cabinet/furniture/etc making,
      hence the need for a decent tablesaw. I definately want a 14"(ish)
      bandsaw, and my one requirement on the tablesaw, is that I want a
      full, solid cast iron, top. One of my biggest problems with my
      current saw are the non-cast iron bits having been dinged up too much.

      Oh, and for various reasons I want these sooner than later.

      My original plan was to buy a couple from Grizzly; however, one of the
      models I really wanted is 6 weeks backordered, also I discovered that
      their shipping policies and my schedule will not work out, and instead
      I would need to take a 4 hour (each way) field trip to go buy the
      tools from them. This started me to looking a bit more.

      Anyway, if you are willing to give advice, I have made a comparison
      sheet about the different models I am looking at that you can find
      here:
      http://crossbow.freeshell.org/sawcomparison.html

      Thanks in advance,
      Siegfried

    • Craig Robert Pierpont
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
        Re: Saw buying help (modern tools)

        Siegfried,

           Whatever you do be sure to get one where the insert around the saw blade is capable of being replaced with a zero clearance insert.

        Craig

        Craig R. Pierpont
        Another Era Lutherie
        www.anotherera.com

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
          Unless I am mistaken (I have looked at all these saws in person, one
          time or another) ... all of them can take an insert.

          Unlike my current saw, (another problem with it), which only takes a
          sheet metal insert, that is too wide for single blade cutting, and
          needs to be removed leaving a HUGE hole for dado cutting.

          Siegfried

          On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:52:50 -0800 (PST), Craig Robert Pierpont
          <crpierpont@...> wrote:

          > Re: Saw buying help (modern tools)
          >
          > Siegfried,
          >
          > Whatever you do be sure to get one where the insert around the saw blade
          > is capable of being replaced with a zero clearance insert.
          >
          > Craig
          >

          > Craig R. Pierpont
          > Another Era Lutherie
          > www.anotherera.com

        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
            There's no question which of those three table saws to get: the Grizzly is
            by far the best. The motor and the fence are superior to the others, and
            everyone I've heard from who has one just loves their Grizzly saw. I'm
            puzzled why you cannot have it delivered, though.

            Motor power is very important in a TS, and as you probably already know,
            the only reliable way to compare is the amperage rating (the HP ratings are
            mostly marketing puffery). If at all possible, use 220V power.

            For the bandsaw, I hear good things about the Grizzly G0555. Delta used to
            be the standard in this category, but their quality has gone down recently.

            For LOTS of discussion about these topics, you can browse the Knots forum
            on Taunton's website:
            http://forums.taunton.com/tp-knots/

            There's a current thread about tablesaws, another about bandsaws... use the
            search function and you will find plenty more on "which table saw" etc.

            BTW, you might consider whether you really need the table saw at all. You
            can rip with the bandsaw. Almost anything that can be done on a TS can
            also be done on a BS, usually more safely. The TS is just a lot faster at
            certain things. But you could get a small jointer (or a jointer plane) and
            a thickness planer, enabling you to buy rough lumber and dimension it
            yourself, as well as making perfect edge-joints. It won't take long for
            the cost savings (buying rough vs. retail lumber) to pay for the
            tools. If I was starting out, that's the way I would go , and get the TS
            later. (Having said all that, my sliding-table DeWalt is in fact the
            workhorse of my shop. But time is money for me...)

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            http://www.albionworks.net
            http://www.albionworks.com
          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
              > There's no question which of those three table saws to get: the Grizzly is
              > by far the best. The motor and the fence are superior to the others, and
              > everyone I've heard from who has one just loves their Grizzly saw. I'm
              > puzzled why you cannot have it delivered, though.

              Well, the problem is: Grizzly only delivers via freight. The freight
              company they use to deliver to Maryland, is, well, not the nicest.
              I've gotten things from them before. They will call, often the
              morning of, to say they are going to try to deliver that day. It may
              not be until tomorrow when it actually gets delivered.

              I've started a new job (2 weeks ago, where I am getting money for new
              tools), where I cannot telecommute, and I have basically no vacation,
              so staying at home for a day, or two, to get a saw, just isn't an
              option.

              My wife is at home; however, is 8 months pregnant, and cannot unload
              the truck. The freight company requires that YOU unload the truck,
              they will not, if noone is there, then you don't get it.

              Also I've had problems of things being pretty banged up.

              Grizzly won't ship via anyone else (I've tried). Their only
              suggestion is for me to ship it to another address, where someone can
              unload it (ie, a friends house), then pick it up from them.

              Anyway, it would be $150 of shipping or so for both bandsaw and
              tablesaw, so even with high gas prices, I would save money by driving
              up there.

              > BTW, you might consider whether you really need the table saw at all. You
              > can rip with the bandsaw. Almost anything that can be done on a TS can
              > also be done on a BS, usually more safely. The TS is just a lot faster at
              > certain things. But you could get a small jointer (or a jointer plane) and
              > a thickness planer, enabling you to buy rough lumber and dimension it
              > yourself, as well as making perfect edge-joints. It won't take long for
              > the cost savings (buying rough vs. retail lumber) to pay for the
              > tools. If I was starting out, that's the way I would go , and get the TS
              > later. (Having said all that, my sliding-table DeWalt is in fact the
              > workhorse of my shop. But time is money for me...)

              Well, I've got a jointer (nice one if I say so myself), plus planer
              (grizzly), etc. etc. And yes, for a long while I've done ALOT with my
              bandsaw and used it as my workhorse (and for a $250 cheapo 14"
              bandsaw, it definately earned it's moneys worth.

              I've ignored my tablesaw mostly because it was horrible (an old 9"
              Rockwell that was my fathers - ever try to find 9" blades? yick. And
              the top is completely pressed steel, and completely useless, and don't
              talk to me about it's fence ;)

              But I feel it's time for me to get a 'GOOD' tablesaw, not a great one,
              but one that will last me for a long time to come, and make it easy to
              do large, long rip cuts on plywood/mdf, and for doing dado/tenon work.
              Plus I want to do fun stuff like box joints/etc.

              It's time to add a working tablesaw to the collection ;) And if I do
              need to drive up there, I can get the grizzly bandsaw as well ...
              hrmmm, just a long drive, going to end up becoming a whole day event.

              (And I do wish that the Ridgid had a better motor in it, it has some
              NICE features, such as the 36" rip capacity, and the
              lifter-mobile-base thing. Not that I plan on moving my tablesaw
              around much, but I wouldn't argue with having the ability.

              Thanks for all the help so far folks.
              Siegfried

            • omer77@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                As to your shipping problem. I had much the same problem in that the
                company would put large packages right in the front yard if I was not home.
                Having a few hundard dollars sitting alone in the front yard made me
                nervous. I had my large items shipped to the company I work for. The
                warehouse would unload it for me and then call me in the field to tell me it
                was in. Might cost you a favor.

                Omer
              • Siegfried
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                  Yeah, well, problem with only being in the new job for 2 weeks ...

                  Plus being told upon hiring that having something 'book sized' shipped
                  here probably isn't a problem, especially if work-ish related.

                  But not having a tablesaw, nope, nada.

                  Siegfried

                  On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:09:27 -0500, omer77@...
                  <omer77@...> wrote:

                  > As to your shipping problem. I had much the same problem in that the
                  > company would put large packages right in the front yard if I was not home.
                  > Having a few hundard dollars sitting alone in the front yard made me
                  > nervous. I had my large items shipped to the company I work for. The
                  > warehouse would unload it for me and then call me in the field to tell me it
                  > was in. Might cost you a favor.
                  >
                  > Omer
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Keith Dombrowski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                    Siegfried,
                    I have the Grizzly 0555 bandsaw and I love it, it performs
                    flawlessly. Also, several of the standard features (quick blade tension
                    release, ball bearing guides) will cost you several hundred dollars to
                    add to most other saws. One thing I do recommend though, get the
                    riser kit up front and install it when you do the initial setup. I waited and
                    then I had to re-buy my blades in the new size.
                    As far as the table saws go, I'm in the market for a Shopfox
                    Cabinet saw myself (To replace a small Dewalt), but if you're going to
                    get a contractor style, the Grizzly is one of the nicer ones. I would
                    avoid anything from Sears these days on general principle. Their old
                    stuff was nice, but the newer stuff seems extremely cheaply made
                    these days. The Ridgid is very nice from what I have seen of it at the
                    local HD, but I would be wary of whether or not they will stock parts for
                    it for an extended time as Sears and Grizzly do.

                    -Kean

                    On 13 Jan 2005 at 12:14, Siegfried wrote:

                    > Ok, not promising that I will listen to the advice, but I wanted to
                    > ask a little.
                    >
                    > I'm in the market for a new tablesaw because my current one is old and
                    > frustrates me more than helps. I'm also in the market for a new
                    > bandsaw because my current one's motor died a horrible death, and it
                    > was a cheap bandsaw, and I want to just replace it.
                    >
                    > I have done some looking, and have decided upon a few options/models
                    > that I am looking at. But before there, here is the quick description
                    > of what I do, in order for advice to be given well:
                    >
                    > I mostly make crossbows (http://crossbows.biz/), which the bandsaw is
                    > quite OFTEN used in, I also do projects around the house, and have
                    > been getting into more and more home cabinet/furniture/etc making,
                    > hence the need for a decent tablesaw. I definately want a 14"(ish)
                    > bandsaw, and my one requirement on the tablesaw, is that I want a
                    > full, solid cast iron, top. One of my biggest problems with my
                    > current saw are the non-cast iron bits having been dinged up too much.
                    >
                    > Oh, and for various reasons I want these sooner than later.
                    >
                    > My original plan was to buy a couple from Grizzly; however, one of the
                    > models I really wanted is 6 weeks backordered, also I discovered that
                    > their shipping policies and my schedule will not work out, and instead
                    > I would need to take a 4 hour (each way) field trip to go buy the
                    > tools from them. This started me to looking a bit more.
                    >
                    > Anyway, if you are willing to give advice, I have made a comparison
                    > sheet about the different models I am looking at that you can find
                    > here:
                    > http://crossbow.freeshell.org/sawcomparison.html
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance,
                    > Siegfried
                    >
                    > --

                  • Keith Dombrowski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                      I'm not sure how far from the local freight depot you are or what sort of
                      vehicle you have, but I have had the trucking company hold large
                      items (from Grizzly in fact) at the depot and then gone over with my
                      pickup to get them. The warehouse guys put them right in the truck for
                      me. (The truck drivers, usually due to union regs, CAN"T load/unload
                      the truck, but the warehouse guys are paid to). You might look into
                      that. Then again, if I was only 4 hours from Grizzly, I'd just go there
                      myself. :-) One advantage to doing so is that you can check the
                      machines for obvious damage or missing parts before you leave. They
                      also quite often have "one ofs", scratch & dents, etc available at the
                      storefronts.

                      -Kean

                      On 13 Jan 2005 at 16:09, omer77@... wrote:

                      > As to your shipping problem. I had much the same problem in that the
                      > company would put large packages right in the front yard if I was not home.
                      > Having a few hundard dollars sitting alone in the front yard made me
                      > nervous. I had my large items shipped to the company I work for. The
                      > warehouse would unload it for me and then call me in the field to tell me it
                      > was in. Might cost you a favor.
                      >
                      > Omer
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                        Just spent way more time than I could afford looking at the Grizzly
                        site... the 14" G0555 is the Bandsaw I want and I already have a much more
                        expensive Jet 14" Gold edition. Forget the 15" or any of the others. The
                        quick blade release all by itself would cost me over $100 for my $700+
                        bandsaw. The ball bearing guides would be another $100. Get the riser kit
                        when you purchase the saw and you will have the same bandsaw a friend has
                        up here. It is very decent.

                        As for the table saw, if your shop is big enough, you can add a wider
                        fence to any of them if you feel the need for the larger table. I'd
                        generally go for the Grizzly simply because I know their motors are rated
                        properly for the actual power draw they use. Like others have said, the
                        amps is the only way to see how much power is going into the motor. HP
                        rating of the Craftsmen is always BS (look in the fine print and see 'peak
                        developed HP').

                        The important question you didn't seem to collect is whether the saw uses
                        a single, double or triple belt. The triple belts are the signs of a big
                        beefy tablesaw that is going to rip a 3" piece of hardwood without
                        complaining.

                        The only other questions to ask about for a table saw is contractors base
                        or enclosed base, with contractor base being more stable but more
                        expensive.

                        Haraldr

                        ... who can't believe he is seriously tempted by the 16" shopfox
                        'ultimate' bandsaw they have on clearance for $725.

                        --
                        Dave Calafrancesco

                        ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!
                      • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                          On Thu, January 13, 2005 15:44, Siegfried said:

                          >> There's no question which of those three table saws to get: the Grizzly
                          >> is
                          >> by far the best. The motor and the fence are superior to the others,
                          >> and
                          >> everyone I've heard from who has one just loves their Grizzly saw. I'm
                          >> puzzled why you cannot have it delivered, though.
                          >
                          > Well, the problem is: Grizzly only delivers via freight. The freight
                          > company they use to deliver to Maryland, is, well, not the nicest.
                          > I've gotten things from them before. They will call, often the
                          > morning of, to say they are going to try to deliver that day. It may
                          > not be until tomorrow when it actually gets delivered.

                          One option to consider is going to the freight company's terminal with a
                          pickup truck and doing a pickup there instead of curbside delivery. Then
                          it's just the base shipping charge from Grizzly of $136 for the two saws.

                          I still think you can't go wrong with the Grizzly bandsaw and if a
                          contractor base saw is what you need budget wise, the Grizzly is the best
                          option in that price range as well.

                          Haraldr

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                            Well, ok, I listened, and am bowing to general consensus here. I'm
                            buckling up and heading for the 4 hour drive.

                            Even had my lady-wife talk me into going this saturday, and
                            accompanying me on the trip, even though it is her birthday.

                            Gotta love her.

                            On that note, anyone know any good restaurants in Muncy, PA?? *grin*

                            Siegfried
                          • kjworz@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                              Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.... Here is where that 'feeling' hits. That good feeling. You knew you needed a tool. You studied up on the options. You know you need it soon.

                              You've made a decision as to what to get. It's the closest to perfect solution you can make.

                              More importantly, you've pulled the trigger on the "when to go get it" decision. And that point in time is less than 48 hours away.

                              Now that anticipation sets in. A good feeling. Almost as good as making the first test cut if/when that cut comes out perfectly. Maybe the second cut, after you tune one last thing that made that first cut less than ideal.

                              That's a GOOD feeling. That anticipation.

                              --
                              -Chris Schwartz
                              Silver Spring, MD

                              > Well, ok, I listened, and am bowing to general consensus here. I'm
                              > buckling up and heading for the 4 hour drive.
                              >
                              > Even had my lady-wife talk me into going this saturday, and
                              > accompanying me on the trip, even though it is her birthday.
                              >
                              > Gotta love her.
                              >
                              > On that note, anyone know any good restaurants in Muncy, PA?? *grin*
                              >
                              > Siegfried
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Tim Bray
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                                Siegfried,

                                Much is now clear! As someone else noted, the delivery problem is related
                                to Teamsters union rules, and you could get around that by picking the
                                items up at the terminal instead of having them delivered to your
                                home. But it sounds like you will make a day of it, save some money,
                                possibly get a better deal anyway.

                                Your tool situation sounds almost exactly like where I was about 5 years
                                ago: a POS table saw and el-cheapo band saw. (Mine was a Sears 12" and I
                                just about wore it out!) Having the jointer and planer puts you ahead,
                                though. You have enough experience already to know what kind of tools you
                                want and what you want to do with them, which helps a lot.

                                Do you have any kind of dust collector yet? That's a whole other can of
                                worms... DC on a contractor-style saw is tricky, but if you're going to be
                                cutting much MDF, you need something. MDF dust is very nasty.

                                Cheers,
                                Colin

                                p.s. Make something really nice for your wife! Going with you on a
                                tool-buying expedition, on her birthday... that is a treasure above gold!

                                Albion Works
                                Furniture and Accessories
                                For the Medievalist!
                                http://www.albionworks.net
                                http://www.albionworks.com
                              • Siegfried
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                                  > Much is now clear! As someone else noted, the delivery problem is related
                                  > to Teamsters union rules, and you could get around that by picking the
                                  > items up at the terminal instead of having them delivered to your
                                  > home.

                                  Problem is, the terminal is so far away, I might as well drive and
                                  save the money :)

                                  > Your tool situation sounds almost exactly like where I was about 5 years
                                  > ago: a POS table saw and el-cheapo band saw. (Mine was a Sears 12" and I
                                  > just about wore it out!)

                                  Mine was a 14" 'Cummins' special ... Paid I think $200 for it (they
                                  now want $250) ... put a fair bit of work into it and got it working
                                  fairly good.

                                  You see, I've long had this plan, that so far hasn't backfired on me.
                                  Whenever I first want a new powertool, I buy a cheap version of such.
                                  cheap cheap cheap. Yes, they have issues; however, that way I get to
                                  discover just how much I am going to use that tool.

                                  Also that way, I get to find out what things are really important in a
                                  'good one' ... because the one I have is probably going to annoy me in
                                  exactly those ways.

                                  Eventually, when the tool breaks (which the cheap ones do), I then am
                                  well informed as to exactly what I want in a good version, and go buy
                                  it.

                                  Hence what I am doing right now with bandsaw and tablesaw (which
                                  broke, and teed me off, respectively, at the same time unfortunately)

                                  > Do you have any kind of dust collector yet?

                                  Yes/No

                                  I have a small shop, and have big shopvac I just roll around to the
                                  tool I am using at the time. A little annoying yes, but it works for
                                  now.

                                  > worms... DC on a contractor-style saw is tricky, but if you're going to be
                                  > cutting much MDF, you need something. MDF dust is very nasty.

                                  Eh hem ... I didn't mention how/why my bandsaw died, did I??

                                  Well, let's just say that it was probably getting 'worn out' anyway
                                  ... but let's imagine, if you will, it standing downstream of the
                                  tablesaw 'dust path' ... then let's imagine, if you will, someone, oh,
                                  running dado's in MDF. A number of dados. And that someone, well,
                                  didn't think that he would need to hook up the shopvac that time
                                  (Personally I always wear a mask for myself, so was masked, just
                                  didn't have the shopvac on to gather).

                                  And that, in this imaginary setup, one went to use the bandsaw
                                  afterwards, and it went 'errrrr' And that one then looks down, and
                                  see the OPEN electric motor (did I mentino cheap bandsaw? No TEFC
                                  here) clogged with MDF dust.

                                  doo do dooo do dooooo *twiddle*

                                  Even after serious cleaning, the motor was dead.

                                  > p.s. Make something really nice for your wife! Going with you on a
                                  > tool-buying expedition, on her birthday... that is a treasure above gold!

                                  I will be, and also already have ... my wife who is 8 months pregnant,
                                  wanted a nice crib, so I made:
                                  http://crossbow.freeshell.org/photos/babycrib

                                  Unfortuantely those pictures are of it unfinished, I have finished
                                  pictures of it around somewhere, need to find them and upload them as
                                  well.

                                  Finished it all with 3 coats of orange shellac (made with Everclear -
                                  Baby Safe! Kid can eat that crib)

                                  Siegfried

                                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                                    Does she have a sister I need a good wood working partner!

                                    James Cunningham
                                    Now with 100 AMP underground power to my saw shed!!