Re: [MedievalSawdust] Chair Tables

  • Gary Halstead
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
      It has been. Barley Hall in York has a repro (as a folding table). You
      can see it under the writing slope here:
      http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/tour/11parlor3.html

      Oh my. Stumbled across this while looking for the table - take a look at
      the artist's conceptions further down the page.

      http://www.richardiii.net/links_friends_BH.htm

      Ranulf

      James Winkler wrote:
      > I tend to agree with Ulrich...
      >
      > Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues... if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest). Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"... the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high... I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.
      >
      > One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet. It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical. Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on... this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it's a 'chair table'...
      >
      > .. its still a darned cool piece though. Would look cool reproduced...
      >
      > Chas.
      >

      > I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
      > sure if that's a chair table.
      >
      > Ulrich
      >
      > > Check out this link:
      > > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html<http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html>
      > > Campin is mid 15th C.
      > >
      > > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
      > > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

    • Dragano Abbruciati
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2005
        OKay!!  I have a new project - ehem - after I build my Mary Rose chest, of course.  I really like the construction of that table.  Thanks, Johann.

        Dragano

        Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
        This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.  I still
        havn't built the real one, but my mock-up made from mdf, 1x pine, and some
        pallet material has been used as a work table in my house for quite a few
        months now.  The documentation shows it to be from 1580

        http://shadowlands.ansteorra.org/shadow/mar2002/Settle/settle-toc.html

          Ken Bowley                                         yahoo@...
          AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich                    http://www.trod.org