Re: [MedievalSawdust] Chair Tables

  • Johann Friedrich
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
      Not my page! Sorry... that's just a page that I used as a reference.

      On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

      > --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
      >> This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.
      >
      > Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?
      >
      > Ulrich

      Ken Bowley yahoo@...
      AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
    • Gary Halstead
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
        It has been. Barley Hall in York has a repro (as a folding table). You
        can see it under the writing slope here:
        http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/tour/11parlor3.html

        Oh my. Stumbled across this while looking for the table - take a look at
        the artist's conceptions further down the page.

        http://www.richardiii.net/links_friends_BH.htm

        Ranulf

        James Winkler wrote:
        > I tend to agree with Ulrich...
        >
        > Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues... if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest). Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"... the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high... I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.
        >
        > One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet. It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical. Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on... this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it's a 'chair table'...
        >
        > .. its still a darned cool piece though. Would look cool reproduced...
        >
        > Chas.
        >

        > I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
        > sure if that's a chair table.
        >
        > Ulrich
        >
        > > Check out this link:
        > > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html<http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html>
        > > Campin is mid 15th C.
        > >
        > > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
        > > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

      • Dragano Abbruciati
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2005
          OKay!!  I have a new project - ehem - after I build my Mary Rose chest, of course.  I really like the construction of that table.  Thanks, Johann.

          Dragano

          Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
          This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.  I still
          havn't built the real one, but my mock-up made from mdf, 1x pine, and some
          pallet material has been used as a work table in my house for quite a few
          months now.  The documentation shows it to be from 1580

          http://shadowlands.ansteorra.org/shadow/mar2002/Settle/settle-toc.html