Re: [MedievalSawdust] Chair Tables

  • Johann Friedrich
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
      This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table. I still
      havn't built the real one, but my mock-up made from mdf, 1x pine, and some
      pallet material has been used as a work table in my house for quite a few
      months now. The documentation shows it to be from 1580

      http://shadowlands.ansteorra.org/shadow/mar2002/Settle/settle-toc.html

      On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
      > pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).
      >
      > "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
      > century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.
      >
      > I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
      > turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
      > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Ulrich

      Ken Bowley yahoo@...
      AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
        --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
        > this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top'
        > table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use
        > (saving space)

        You know, now that I think about it, I bet that's the precursor to the
        chair table. The legs need some sort of horizontal support. At some
        point, I bet someone sat on the cross piece. From there, it was
        probably adapted into a more comfortable seat.

        Ulrich

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
          --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
          > This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.

          Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?

          Ulrich

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
            Johann,

            I was looking at the Letter from English Manor Antiques. I see they
            also provided a "Monk's Bench." This is the common name for a chair
            table. By any chance did you get pictures of that?

            Thanks,
            Ulrich

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
              --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
              > This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.

              I found another picture of it at:
              http://hex.oucs.ox.ac.uk/~rejs/photos/A40/full/117canon/img_1727.jpg

              Damn, that's an ugly ceiling....

              Ulrich

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Johann Friedrich
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                Not my page! Sorry... that's just a page that I used as a reference.

                On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

                > --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                >> This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.
                >
                > Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?
                >
                > Ulrich

                Ken Bowley yahoo@...
                AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
              • Gary Halstead
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                  It has been. Barley Hall in York has a repro (as a folding table). You
                  can see it under the writing slope here:
                  http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/tour/11parlor3.html

                  Oh my. Stumbled across this while looking for the table - take a look at
                  the artist's conceptions further down the page.

                  http://www.richardiii.net/links_friends_BH.htm

                  Ranulf

                  James Winkler wrote:
                  > I tend to agree with Ulrich...
                  >
                  > Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues... if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest). Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"... the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high... I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.
                  >
                  > One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet. It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical. Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on... this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it's a 'chair table'...
                  >
                  > .. its still a darned cool piece though. Would look cool reproduced...
                  >
                  > Chas.
                  >

                  > I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
                  > sure if that's a chair table.
                  >
                  > Ulrich
                  >
                  > > Check out this link:
                  > > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html<http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html>
                  > > Campin is mid 15th C.
                  > >
                  > > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
                  > > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

                • Dragano Abbruciati
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 7, 2005
                    OKay!!  I have a new project - ehem - after I build my Mary Rose chest, of course.  I really like the construction of that table.  Thanks, Johann.

                    Dragano