Chair Tables

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
      Hi all,

      I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
      pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).

      "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
      century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.

      I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
      turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
      either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

      Thanks,
      Ulrich

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
        Check out this link:
        http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html

        Campin is mid 15th C.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
        > pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).
        >
        > "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
        > century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.
        >
        > I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
        > turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
        > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ulrich

      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
          I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
          sure if that's a chair table.

          Ulrich

          > Check out this link:
          > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html
          > Campin is mid 15th C.
          >
          > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
          > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
            I tend to agree with Ulrich...

            Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues...  if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest).  Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"...  the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high...  I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.

            One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet.  It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical.  Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on...  this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it’s a 'chair table'...

            ... its still a darned cool piece though.  Would look cool reproduced...

            Chas.

            I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
            sure if that's a chair table.

            Ulrich

            > Check out this link:
            > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html
            > Campin is mid 15th C.
            >
            > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
            > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

          • Johann Friedrich
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
              This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table. I still
              havn't built the real one, but my mock-up made from mdf, 1x pine, and some
              pallet material has been used as a work table in my house for quite a few
              months now. The documentation shows it to be from 1580

              http://shadowlands.ansteorra.org/shadow/mar2002/Settle/settle-toc.html

              On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
              > pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).
              >
              > "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
              > century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.
              >
              > I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
              > turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
              > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Ulrich

              Ken Bowley yahoo@...
              AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                > this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top'
                > table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use
                > (saving space)

                You know, now that I think about it, I bet that's the precursor to the
                chair table. The legs need some sort of horizontal support. At some
                point, I bet someone sat on the cross piece. From there, it was
                probably adapted into a more comfortable seat.

                Ulrich

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                  --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                  > This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.

                  Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Johann,

                    I was looking at the Letter from English Manor Antiques. I see they
                    also provided a "Monk's Bench." This is the common name for a chair
                    table. By any chance did you get pictures of that?

                    Thanks,
                    Ulrich

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                      --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                      > This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.

                      I found another picture of it at:
                      http://hex.oucs.ox.ac.uk/~rejs/photos/A40/full/117canon/img_1727.jpg

                      Damn, that's an ugly ceiling....

                      Ulrich

                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Johann Friedrich
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                        Not my page! Sorry... that's just a page that I used as a reference.

                        On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

                        > --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                        >> This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.
                        >
                        > Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?
                        >
                        > Ulrich

                        Ken Bowley yahoo@...
                        AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
                      • Gary Halstead
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                          It has been. Barley Hall in York has a repro (as a folding table). You
                          can see it under the writing slope here:
                          http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/tour/11parlor3.html

                          Oh my. Stumbled across this while looking for the table - take a look at
                          the artist's conceptions further down the page.

                          http://www.richardiii.net/links_friends_BH.htm

                          Ranulf

                          James Winkler wrote:
                          > I tend to agree with Ulrich...
                          >
                          > Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues... if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest). Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"... the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high... I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.
                          >
                          > One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet. It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical. Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on... this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it's a 'chair table'...
                          >
                          > .. its still a darned cool piece though. Would look cool reproduced...
                          >
                          > Chas.
                          >

                          > I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
                          > sure if that's a chair table.
                          >
                          > Ulrich
                          >
                          > > Check out this link:
                          > > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html<http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html>
                          > > Campin is mid 15th C.
                          > >
                          > > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
                          > > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

                        • Dragano Abbruciati
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 7, 2005
                            OKay!!  I have a new project - ehem - after I build my Mary Rose chest, of course.  I really like the construction of that table.  Thanks, Johann.

                            Dragano