Mary Rose - Type 2.2 - Hardware

  • Dragano Abbruciati dGenoese
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
      Master Will:

      I think I may have found a one-stop internet stop for all my chest
      hardware. http://www.ttshardware.com/

      They have butterfly hinges that are close and nails that will work
      for the period. Also, take a look at the hasp/lock in the very top
      picture. Would something like that account for the voids in the
      Fig.8 drawing of the Type 2.2 chest?

      Dragano
    • James Winkler

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
          Hi all,

          I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
          pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).

          "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
          century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.

          I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
          turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
          either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

          Thanks,
          Ulrich

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
            Check out this link:
            http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html

            Campin is mid 15th C.

            --
            -Chris Schwartz
            Silver Spring, MD

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
            > pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).
            >
            > "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
            > century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.
            >
            > I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
            > turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
            > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ulrich

          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
              I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
              sure if that's a chair table.

              Ulrich

              > Check out this link:
              > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html
              > Campin is mid 15th C.
              >
              > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
              > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • James Winkler
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                I tend to agree with Ulrich...

                Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues...  if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest).  Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"...  the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high...  I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.

                One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet.  It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical.  Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on...  this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it’s a 'chair table'...

                ... its still a darned cool piece though.  Would look cool reproduced...

                Chas.

                I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
                sure if that's a chair table.

                Ulrich

                > Check out this link:
                > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html
                > Campin is mid 15th C.
                >
                > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
                > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

              • Johann Friedrich
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                  This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table. I still
                  havn't built the real one, but my mock-up made from mdf, 1x pine, and some
                  pallet material has been used as a work table in my house for quite a few
                  months now. The documentation shows it to be from 1580

                  http://shadowlands.ansteorra.org/shadow/mar2002/Settle/settle-toc.html

                  On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I'm thinking about building a chair table (a chair with a back that
                  > pivots in the rear of the armrest to become a table).
                  >
                  > "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by Chinnery lists them in 16th
                  > century inventories, but only has pictures of 17th century versions.
                  >
                  > I'm doing this as a challenge from my Laurel, but who knows, it may
                  > turn into an A&S project. Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
                  > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Ulrich

                  Ken Bowley yahoo@...
                  AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
                • Joseph Hayes
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                    --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
                    > this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top'
                    > table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use
                    > (saving space)

                    You know, now that I think about it, I bet that's the precursor to the
                    chair table. The legs need some sort of horizontal support. At some
                    point, I bet someone sat on the cross piece. From there, it was
                    probably adapted into a more comfortable seat.

                    Ulrich

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                      --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                      > This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.

                      Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                        Johann,

                        I was looking at the Letter from English Manor Antiques. I see they
                        also provided a "Monk's Bench." This is the common name for a chair
                        table. By any chance did you get pictures of that?

                        Thanks,
                        Ulrich

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Joseph Hayes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                          --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                          > This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.

                          I found another picture of it at:
                          http://hex.oucs.ox.ac.uk/~rejs/photos/A40/full/117canon/img_1727.jpg

                          Damn, that's an ugly ceiling....

                          Ulrich

                          http://my.yahoo.com
                        • Johann Friedrich
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                            Not my page! Sorry... that's just a page that I used as a reference.

                            On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Joseph Hayes wrote:

                            > --- Johann Friedrich <yahoo@...> wrote:
                            >> This page is the one I used as an inspiration for a settle table.
                            >
                            > Nice documentation! Mind if I "borrow" it?
                            >
                            > Ulrich

                            Ken Bowley yahoo@...
                            AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
                          • Gary Halstead
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
                              It has been. Barley Hall in York has a repro (as a folding table). You
                              can see it under the writing slope here:
                              http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/tour/11parlor3.html

                              Oh my. Stumbled across this while looking for the table - take a look at
                              the artist's conceptions further down the page.

                              http://www.richardiii.net/links_friends_BH.htm

                              Ranulf

                              James Winkler wrote:
                              > I tend to agree with Ulrich...
                              >
                              > Now, given that there are certain perspective issues with the Campin painting there are a couple of other clues... if you look at the settle that Mary is leaning against... the height of the back is roughly double the seat height (from the foot rest). Assuming a low seat height of 16" that would put the back at 32"... the table top is 'roughly' at the same level as the back of the settle... so, *if* a seat was present it looks like it would have to fit fairly close to the table top... and that would be a bit high... I can't see anything in the painting that suggests a seat lower than that.
                              >
                              > One other point... besides the legs being asymmetrical, take a look at the feet. It *appears* that they are also asymmetrical. Longer on the side the angle is on and truncated on the side Mary is on... this would suggest to me that what we're looking at is a 'tilt top' table that is designed to be placed against a wall when not in use (saving space)... but, like Ulrich, I'm not sure it's a 'chair table'...
                              >
                              > .. its still a darned cool piece though. Would look cool reproduced...
                              >
                              > Chas.
                              >

                              > I see the table legs are asymmetrical in their decoration, but I'm not
                              > sure if that's a chair table.
                              >
                              > Ulrich
                              >
                              > > Check out this link:
                              > > http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html<http://www.peartree12.freeserve.co.uk/gallery/campin_merode.html>
                              > > Campin is mid 15th C.
                              > >
                              > > > Does anyone know of any pre-1600 examples,
                              > > > either pictures of extant pieces or period artwork?

                            • Dragano Abbruciati
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 7, 2005
                                OKay!!  I have a new project - ehem - after I build my Mary Rose chest, of course.  I really like the construction of that table.  Thanks, Johann.

                                Dragano