I've recently come into a large quantity of freshly cut silky oak
(Grevillea robusta), a relative of lacewood. The grain pattern is
gorgeous, but even the book that I used to identify it said the phenolic
compounds it contains can sometimes trigger poison-ivy like reactions.
Woodworkers on rec.crafts.woodturning have mentioned cases of severe
allergic reaction, and life threatening respiratory problems.
I do plan on wearing a respirator along with my usual safety gear, but
is this stuff as horrid as everyone makes it out to be?
Phillip the Skeptic