Questions about Silky Oak (Grevillea robusta)

  • Copernicus Skygazer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2005
      I've recently come into a large quantity of freshly cut silky oak
      (Grevillea robusta), a relative of lacewood. The grain pattern is
      gorgeous, but even the book that I used to identify it said the phenolic
      compounds it contains can sometimes trigger poison-ivy like reactions.

      Woodworkers on rec.crafts.woodturning have mentioned cases of severe
      allergic reaction, and life threatening respiratory problems.

      I do plan on wearing a respirator along with my usual safety gear, but
      is this stuff as horrid as everyone makes it out to be?

      YIS,
      Phillip the Skeptic