Re: [MedievalSawdust] mid 15th century cabinetry

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
      Rhys -

      I put up a few pix of 15th c. cabinetry in the Photos section for this
      group a while back. Look in the album titled "Cup-boards and
      dressoirs." I have a lot more photos of various similar items that I
      haven't scanned in yet. Are you looking for anything in particular?

      Also, this may be splitting hairs, but I suspect most of these objects are
      late-15th c. rather than mid-15th. The really Gothic-looking cupboards -
      the ones with the crested baldaquin arching over the top - might be ca.
      1470; the others are probably 1480 to 1500.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        Rhys asks:

        >Have you come across
        >anything on what type of joinery was used to put a cabinet/cupboard
        >together? I have an A&S project, but it's working from a painting and
        >I need joinery.

        Everything I've seen has been M&T. The doors on most of the cabinets are
        slab, but some are frame-and-panel. (German versions even show true-mitred
        frames in the 15th c., but I don't know how the miters were joined.)

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories