Re: [MedievalSawdust] mid 15th century cabinetry

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
      excellent pictures that will help a lot. Have you come across
      anything on what type of joinery was used to put a cabinet/cupboard
      together? I have an A&S project, but it's working from a painting and
      I need joinery.

      Thanks
      -Rhys

      On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:45:35 -0500, Gary Halstead
      <ghalstead@...> wrote:

      > There are several in the pictures section of my website, here:
      > http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/gallery.htm
      >
      > Huntington Antiques usually has several listed on their site:
      > http://www.huntington-antiques.com/about.htm
      >
      > That should get you started. Let me know if you need something more
      > specific and I'll crack open the books.
      >
      > Ranulf

    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        Rhys -

        I put up a few pix of 15th c. cabinetry in the Photos section for this
        group a while back. Look in the album titled "Cup-boards and
        dressoirs." I have a lot more photos of various similar items that I
        haven't scanned in yet. Are you looking for anything in particular?

        Also, this may be splitting hairs, but I suspect most of these objects are
        late-15th c. rather than mid-15th. The really Gothic-looking cupboards -
        the ones with the crested baldaquin arching over the top - might be ca.
        1470; the others are probably 1480 to 1500.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        http://www.albionworks.net
        http://www.albionworks.com
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          Rhys asks:

          >Have you come across
          >anything on what type of joinery was used to put a cabinet/cupboard
          >together? I have an A&S project, but it's working from a painting and
          >I need joinery.

          Everything I've seen has been M&T. The doors on most of the cabinets are
          slab, but some are frame-and-panel. (German versions even show true-mitred
          frames in the 15th c., but I don't know how the miters were joined.)

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories