mid 15th century cabinetry

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      Greetings one and all.

      I am looking for documentable references to cabinets in the mid 15th
      century. Armoire, food cuboard, anything that is a box with a door,
      reguardless of size. Anyhting anyone can offer will be appreciated.

      -Rhys
    • Gary Halstead
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        There are several in the pictures section of my website, here:
        http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/gallery.htm

        Huntington Antiques usually has several listed on their site:
        http://www.huntington-antiques.com/about.htm

        That should get you started. Let me know if you need something more
        specific and I'll crack open the books.

        Ranulf

        Dan Baker wrote:
        > Greetings one and all.
        >
        > I am looking for documentable references to cabinets in the mid 15th
        > century. Armoire, food cuboard, anything that is a box with a door,
        > reguardless of size. Anyhting anyone can offer will be appreciated.
        >
        > -Rhys
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          excellent pictures that will help a lot. Have you come across
          anything on what type of joinery was used to put a cabinet/cupboard
          together? I have an A&S project, but it's working from a painting and
          I need joinery.

          Thanks
          -Rhys

          On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:45:35 -0500, Gary Halstead
          <ghalstead@...> wrote:

          > There are several in the pictures section of my website, here:
          > http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/gallery.htm
          >
          > Huntington Antiques usually has several listed on their site:
          > http://www.huntington-antiques.com/about.htm
          >
          > That should get you started. Let me know if you need something more
          > specific and I'll crack open the books.
          >
          > Ranulf

        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            Rhys -

            I put up a few pix of 15th c. cabinetry in the Photos section for this
            group a while back. Look in the album titled "Cup-boards and
            dressoirs." I have a lot more photos of various similar items that I
            haven't scanned in yet. Are you looking for anything in particular?

            Also, this may be splitting hairs, but I suspect most of these objects are
            late-15th c. rather than mid-15th. The really Gothic-looking cupboards -
            the ones with the crested baldaquin arching over the top - might be ca.
            1470; the others are probably 1480 to 1500.

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            http://www.albionworks.net
            http://www.albionworks.com
          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
              Rhys asks:

              >Have you come across
              >anything on what type of joinery was used to put a cabinet/cupboard
              >together? I have an A&S project, but it's working from a painting and
              >I need joinery.

              Everything I've seen has been M&T. The doors on most of the cabinets are
              slab, but some are frame-and-panel. (German versions even show true-mitred
              frames in the 15th c., but I don't know how the miters were joined.)

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories