Re: [MedievalSawdust] Are bow saws are medieval?

  • Gary Halstead
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
      By "bow-saw" I'm assuming you mean a saw whose blade is held in tension
      by a single piece of wood bent in an arc.

      I've only seen two examples in medieval Europe. One is in Kolchin
      (n.b.) and is based on his excavations of 10-11th century Novgorod. The
      other is in a 1461 ms. illustration reproduced in Binding (n.b.). It
      looks like they existed but they're far outnumbered in contemporary
      illos by frame saws and "sword" type untensioned saws.

      Ranulf

      KOLCHIN, B.A. _Wooden Artefacts from Medieval Novgorod_, BAR
      International Series, vol. 495. Oxford: B.A.R., 1989. (also reproduced
      in GOODMAN, W.L. _The History of Woodworking Tools_. London: G. Bell and
      Sons, 1964.)

      BINDING, Günter. _Der mittelalterliche Baubetrieb in zeitgenössischen
      Abbildungen_. Stuttgart: Theiss Verlag, 2001. (ill. 121 cited as:
      Brussels, Bib. Royale, Ms. IV 106, fol. 49v. Ludolphe de Saxe, Vitae
      Christi)