Re: [MedievalSawdust] small metal-bound wooden coffers

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
      Julian,

      We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles. Attached is a
      photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest. It's
      about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall. This one is in walnut, for
      US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
      still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.

      I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150. 18
      inches tall and 24 inches long.

      Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
      to 105-pound monsters. None in stock though, and it will be months before
      I can get around to making any.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
    • Keith Dombrowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
        Interestingly enough, I came across these this morning:

        http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=
        PROD&Product_Code=026585&Category_Code=48

        I've seen similar (or perhaps even the same ones) for sale at one of the
        Pennsic merchants. Pillaged Village I believe. They seemed fairly sturdy,
        made out of the wood that all of the low-end stuff out of India seems to
        be made out of. I've yet to identify that wood.

        -Kean

        On 13 Dec 2004 at 22:26, julian wilson wrote:

        > Dear Listers,
        > I would welcome contact details for Merchants/Traders who retail small, iron-bound wooden coffers of medieval design.
        > I am fitting-out the interior of the oval pavilion I have commissioned from Indian Tents, - and I find I need several coffers of different designs as accessories themselves, and to house smaller accessories.
        > Our Period is late XVCth Century, so any design current prior to 1509 will be of interest.
        > My own workshop is tied-up with other projects; and I simply don't have the time to make such coffers for myself.
        > As and example, Historic Enterprises list an interesting-looking, metal-bound, wooden coffer that is sufficiently "in-period" as to be acceptable for our pruposes, - but although they show the picture, it is currently out-of-stock.
        > Recommendations to other possible makers/suppliers would be very welcome
        >

        > Yours in service,
        > Julian Wilson,
        > late-medieval Re-enactor.
        > Historian and Master Artisan to
        > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
        > in "olde" Jersey
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger
      • Keith Dombrowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
          That's a nice piece Tim. Are the hinges hand forged or commercially
          produced?

          -Kean

          On 14 Dec 2004 at 9:14, Tim Bray wrote:

          > Julian,
          >
          > We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles. Attached is a
          > photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest. It's
          > about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall. This one is in walnut, for
          > US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
          > still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.
          >
          > I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150. 18
          > inches tall and 24 inches long.
          >
          > Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
          > to 105-pound monsters. None in stock though, and it will be months before
          > I can get around to making any.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Tim Bray
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Keith Dombrowski
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
            Tim,
            You mentioned a web site, Can you post it here?

            Thanks,
            -Kean

            On 14 Dec 2004 at 9:14, Tim Bray wrote:

            > Julian,
            >
            > We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles. Attached is a
            > photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest. It's
            > about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall. This one is in walnut, for
            > US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
            > still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.
            >
            > I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150. 18
            > inches tall and 24 inches long.
            >
            > Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
            > to 105-pound monsters. None in stock though, and it will be months before
            > I can get around to making any.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Tim Bray
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
              >That's a nice piece Tim. Are the hinges hand forged or commercially
              >produced?

              Thanks. They are commercially produced, available from Quincaillerie
              Classique in Canada. They come flat, of course, and must be shaped to fit
              around the curved top.

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              http://www.albionworks.net
              http://www.albionworks.com
            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
                Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
                Julian,

                We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles.  Attached is a
                photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest.  It's
                about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall.   This one is in walnut, for
                US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
                still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.

                I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150.  18
                inches tall and 24 inches long.

                Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
                to 105-pound monsters.  None in stock though, and it will be months before
                I can get around to making any.

                Cheers,
                Tim Bray

                Dear Albion Works,
                I'd like to order a BLUE livery collar from you as illustrated on your website, with the Motto "SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM"
                However, no matter what I do, my browser keeps showing the "no such connection" page.
                Please e-mail me your current e-addy, along with the estimated cost of the Collar, and shipping to the island of Jersey, UK.

                I'm now thinking about your coffers, the tabletop sized ones, and trying to decide which design would be appropriate.