small metal-bound wooden coffers

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2004
      Dear Listers,
      I would welcome contact details for Merchants/Traders who retail small, iron-bound wooden coffers of medieval design.
      I am fitting-out the interior of the oval pavilion I have commissioned from Indian Tents, - and I find I need several coffers of different designs as accessories themselves, and to house smaller accessories.
      Our Period is late XVCth Century, so any design current prior to 1509 will be of interest.
      My own workshop is tied-up with other projects; and I simply don't have the time to make such coffers for myself.
      As and example, Historic Enterprises list an interesting-looking, metal-bound, wooden coffer that is sufficiently "in-period" as to be acceptable for our pruposes, - but although they show the picture, it is currently out-of-stock.
      Recommendations to other possible makers/suppliers would be very welcome

      Yours in service,
      Julian Wilson,
      late-medieval Re-enactor.
      Historian and Master Artisan to
      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
      in "olde" Jersey

    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
        Julian,

        We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles. Attached is a
        photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest. It's
        about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall. This one is in walnut, for
        US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
        still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.

        I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150. 18
        inches tall and 24 inches long.

        Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
        to 105-pound monsters. None in stock though, and it will be months before
        I can get around to making any.

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
      • Keith Dombrowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
          Interestingly enough, I came across these this morning:

          http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=
          PROD&Product_Code=026585&Category_Code=48

          I've seen similar (or perhaps even the same ones) for sale at one of the
          Pennsic merchants. Pillaged Village I believe. They seemed fairly sturdy,
          made out of the wood that all of the low-end stuff out of India seems to
          be made out of. I've yet to identify that wood.

          -Kean

          On 13 Dec 2004 at 22:26, julian wilson wrote:

          > Dear Listers,
          > I would welcome contact details for Merchants/Traders who retail small, iron-bound wooden coffers of medieval design.
          > I am fitting-out the interior of the oval pavilion I have commissioned from Indian Tents, - and I find I need several coffers of different designs as accessories themselves, and to house smaller accessories.
          > Our Period is late XVCth Century, so any design current prior to 1509 will be of interest.
          > My own workshop is tied-up with other projects; and I simply don't have the time to make such coffers for myself.
          > As and example, Historic Enterprises list an interesting-looking, metal-bound, wooden coffer that is sufficiently "in-period" as to be acceptable for our pruposes, - but although they show the picture, it is currently out-of-stock.
          > Recommendations to other possible makers/suppliers would be very welcome
          >

          > Yours in service,
          > Julian Wilson,
          > late-medieval Re-enactor.
          > Historian and Master Artisan to
          > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
          > in "olde" Jersey
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          > Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger
        • Keith Dombrowski
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
            That's a nice piece Tim. Are the hinges hand forged or commercially
            produced?

            -Kean

            On 14 Dec 2004 at 9:14, Tim Bray wrote:

            > Julian,
            >
            > We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles. Attached is a
            > photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest. It's
            > about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall. This one is in walnut, for
            > US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
            > still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.
            >
            > I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150. 18
            > inches tall and 24 inches long.
            >
            > Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
            > to 105-pound monsters. None in stock though, and it will be months before
            > I can get around to making any.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Tim Bray
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Keith Dombrowski
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2004
              Tim,
              You mentioned a web site, Can you post it here?

              Thanks,
              -Kean

              On 14 Dec 2004 at 9:14, Tim Bray wrote:

              > Julian,
              >
              > We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles. Attached is a
              > photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest. It's
              > about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall. This one is in walnut, for
              > US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
              > still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.
              >
              > I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150. 18
              > inches tall and 24 inches long.
              >
              > Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
              > to 105-pound monsters. None in stock though, and it will be months before
              > I can get around to making any.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Tim Bray
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
                >That's a nice piece Tim. Are the hinges hand forged or commercially
                >produced?

                Thanks. They are commercially produced, available from Quincaillerie
                Classique in Canada. They come flat, of course, and must be shaped to fit
                around the curved top.

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
                http://www.albionworks.net
                http://www.albionworks.com
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
                  Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
                  Julian,

                  We make coffers and chests in various sizes and styles.  Attached is a
                  photo of one, not yet on our Web site, that might be of interest.  It's
                  about 16 inches long and 12 inches tall.   This one is in walnut, for
                  US$195. I think the oak one on the Website, with fleur-de-lys hinges, might
                  still be in stock, but I'll have to check to be sure.

                  I also have one or two boarded chests in QSWO in stock, for US$150.  18
                  inches tall and 24 inches long.

                  Also, I have made clamped-front chests in various sizes, from 6 inches tall
                  to 105-pound monsters.  None in stock though, and it will be months before
                  I can get around to making any.

                  Cheers,
                  Tim Bray

                  Dear Albion Works,
                  I'd like to order a BLUE livery collar from you as illustrated on your website, with the Motto "SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM"
                  However, no matter what I do, my browser keeps showing the "no such connection" page.
                  Please e-mail me your current e-addy, along with the estimated cost of the Collar, and shipping to the island of Jersey, UK.

                  I'm now thinking about your coffers, the tabletop sized ones, and trying to decide which design would be appropriate.