Re: [medievalsawdust] Linenfold Panels

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
      --- "langdon_g <alice-louis@...>" <alice-louis@...> wrote:
      > I am working on the design of a bed and want to use linenfold panels
      > in the headboard. I want to have it fairly accurate to the mid 14C.
      > and am afraid that linenfold was not too comon until the mid 15C.
      > Does anyone have references that show the use of linenfold panels in
      > the home before 1400?

      Off the top of my head, I think you're right that linenfold wasn't
      common until the mid 15th century. The best book I have (at home) on
      the subject is Chinnery's, "Oak Furniture: The british Tradition."

      I did a quick search and found a site that ripped-off the panel dating
      info from the book (without credit as far as I can tell). The site is
      http://www.elijahslocum.com/pdf/Autumn%2099%20news.pdf.

      If you want, I can look through the period furniture books I have to
      see if I can come up with a mid 14C bed. You looking for something
      stationary or portable? What country?

      Thanks,
      Ulrich

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • langdon_g <alice-louis@att.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
        > Off the top of my head, I think you're right that linenfold wasn't
        > common until the mid 15th century. The best book I have (at home)
        on
        > the subject is Chinnery's, "Oak Furniture: The british Tradition."
        >
        > I did a quick search and found a site that ripped-off the panel
        dating
        > info from the book (without credit as far as I can tell). The site
        is
        > http://www.elijahslocum.com/pdf/Autumn%2099%20news.pdf.
        >
        > If you want, I can look through the period furniture books I have to
        > see if I can come up with a mid 14C bed. You looking for something
        > stationary or portable? What country?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ulrich

        The country is possibly Italian but I have found the linenfold panel
        is English. If i go toward the Italian I will probably leave the
        panels flat gesso and paint them.
        The bed is for a transportable bed which can be broken down to
        travel. It is based on the Norwegian slat bed and some manuscripts
        showing take apart beds with through tennons and wedges.
        Thanks, Langdon.
      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
          --- "langdon_g <alice-louis@...>" <alice-louis@...> wrote:
          > The country is possibly Italian but I have found the linenfold panel
          > is English.

          I've got pictures of linenfold furniture from all parts of Western
          Europe (including one in Italy) but from what I've read, Italians
          generally avoided "gothic" styles.

          > The bed is for a transportable bed which can be broken down to
          > travel. It is based on the Norwegian slat bed and some manuscripts
          > showing take apart beds with through tennons and wedges.

          I'll see what I can do.

          Thanks,
          Ulrich
          ~ who seems to do more woodworking research than woodworking....

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
            > The country is possibly Italian but I have found the linenfold panel
            > is English. If i go toward the Italian I will probably leave the
            > panels flat gesso and paint them.
            > The bed is for a transportable bed which can be broken down to
            > travel. It is based on the Norwegian slat bed and some manuscripts
            > showing take apart beds with through tennons and wedges.

            In the books I have, I can't find any linenfold or frame-and-panel
            construction before 1450. It almost seems that as soon as the panel
            was introduced, they went about thinking up way to decorate it.

            I guess you have a few choices:

            - Do whatever you want within period.

            - Do with frame and panel, but keep the panels plain (that's what I
            did. See http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bed.jpg).

            - Use boarded construction, which would have been appropriate for 14th
            C. I've stuck a copy of (what I think is) a c1500 Southern Tirol
            boarded knock-down bed at
            http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/1500_bed.jpg. When
            I look at the picture I see removeable pins that hold the sides to the
            headboard and footboard, and exposed slats at the base of the
            footboard. Take off the half-tester, add some proper motifs and a
            little carving, this may be adaptable to many dates and places.

            Ulrich

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com