Linenfold Panels

  • langdon_g <alice-louis@att.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
      Greetings,

      I am working on the design of a bed and want to use linenfold panels
      in the headboard. I want to have it fairly accurate to the mid 14C.
      and am afraid that linenfold was not too comon until the mid 15C.

      Does anyone have references that show the use of linenfold panels in
      the home before 1400?

      Thanks, Langdon
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
        --- "langdon_g <alice-louis@...>" <alice-louis@...> wrote:
        > I am working on the design of a bed and want to use linenfold panels
        > in the headboard. I want to have it fairly accurate to the mid 14C.
        > and am afraid that linenfold was not too comon until the mid 15C.
        > Does anyone have references that show the use of linenfold panels in
        > the home before 1400?

        Off the top of my head, I think you're right that linenfold wasn't
        common until the mid 15th century. The best book I have (at home) on
        the subject is Chinnery's, "Oak Furniture: The british Tradition."

        I did a quick search and found a site that ripped-off the panel dating
        info from the book (without credit as far as I can tell). The site is
        http://www.elijahslocum.com/pdf/Autumn%2099%20news.pdf.

        If you want, I can look through the period furniture books I have to
        see if I can come up with a mid 14C bed. You looking for something
        stationary or portable? What country?

        Thanks,
        Ulrich

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • langdon_g <alice-louis@att.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
          > Off the top of my head, I think you're right that linenfold wasn't
          > common until the mid 15th century. The best book I have (at home)
          on
          > the subject is Chinnery's, "Oak Furniture: The british Tradition."
          >
          > I did a quick search and found a site that ripped-off the panel
          dating
          > info from the book (without credit as far as I can tell). The site
          is
          > http://www.elijahslocum.com/pdf/Autumn%2099%20news.pdf.
          >
          > If you want, I can look through the period furniture books I have to
          > see if I can come up with a mid 14C bed. You looking for something
          > stationary or portable? What country?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ulrich

          The country is possibly Italian but I have found the linenfold panel
          is English. If i go toward the Italian I will probably leave the
          panels flat gesso and paint them.
          The bed is for a transportable bed which can be broken down to
          travel. It is based on the Norwegian slat bed and some manuscripts
          showing take apart beds with through tennons and wedges.
          Thanks, Langdon.
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
            --- "langdon_g <alice-louis@...>" <alice-louis@...> wrote:
            > The country is possibly Italian but I have found the linenfold panel
            > is English.

            I've got pictures of linenfold furniture from all parts of Western
            Europe (including one in Italy) but from what I've read, Italians
            generally avoided "gothic" styles.

            > The bed is for a transportable bed which can be broken down to
            > travel. It is based on the Norwegian slat bed and some manuscripts
            > showing take apart beds with through tennons and wedges.

            I'll see what I can do.

            Thanks,
            Ulrich
            ~ who seems to do more woodworking research than woodworking....

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
              > The country is possibly Italian but I have found the linenfold panel
              > is English. If i go toward the Italian I will probably leave the
              > panels flat gesso and paint them.
              > The bed is for a transportable bed which can be broken down to
              > travel. It is based on the Norwegian slat bed and some manuscripts
              > showing take apart beds with through tennons and wedges.

              In the books I have, I can't find any linenfold or frame-and-panel
              construction before 1450. It almost seems that as soon as the panel
              was introduced, they went about thinking up way to decorate it.

              I guess you have a few choices:

              - Do whatever you want within period.

              - Do with frame and panel, but keep the panels plain (that's what I
              did. See http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bed.jpg).

              - Use boarded construction, which would have been appropriate for 14th
              C. I've stuck a copy of (what I think is) a c1500 Southern Tirol
              boarded knock-down bed at
              http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/1500_bed.jpg. When
              I look at the picture I see removeable pins that hold the sides to the
              headboard and footboard, and exposed slats at the base of the
              footboard. Take off the half-tester, add some proper motifs and a
              little carving, this may be adaptable to many dates and places.

              Ulrich

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com