Novice Woodworking Questions

  • Caley Woulfe
    Message 1 of 138 , Dec 4, 2004
      I have some questions regarding basic woodworking and making simple chests
      and boxes. I am a *Novice* at working with wood and prefer to use modern
      tools wherever possible.

      I'm thinking of getting a table saw. My efforts at cutting wood by hand and
      by jigsaw have done nothing but waste materials, and being unemployed, I
      can't afford to practice till I'm perfect. Also, I'm thinking of getting a
      dovetail jig. Do they come with directions on how to use them? Do you have
      to flip the wood and mark which ends go together? Also, should I invest in a
      doweling jig, too? Or just drill the holes by hand? Should I use C-clamps
      to hold the planks to the work table while I drill them?
      Should I forgo dovetailing and just use dowels all around to make them?

      Also, what woods are good for making boxes and chests? I can't afford top
      grade oak; I know that's too expensive, and most pines are too soft and will
      dent too easily.
      Is there a relatively cheap but hardy wood for this sort of use? Or are
      there cheaper, but hardier types of pine I could use?

      Is rope or leather better for handles? How are leather handles fixed to the
      wood?

      Thanks!

      Caoillainn
    • Tim Bray
      Message 138 of 138 , Feb 11, 2005
        >Question When was French polish with rotten stone and pumis(sp) start being
        >used?

        18th c. is the earliest I've seen reference to it.

        French polishing uses shellac. The earliest English reference to shellac
        appears to be a 1594 description by a fellow travelling in India, who saw
        the locals using it. I have no idea if the Italians or other Europeans
        were using it before then - it's quite possible, as the English were
        notoriously backward about such things.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works