Re: Am I seein' what I think I'm seein'??

  • Bear <avalonbear@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:

      > You are entirely right. Those images come from Jost Amman's "Book of
      > Trades," and the gentlemen with the great wheel lathe are pewterers,
      not
      > wood turners. There's one more lathe in that book that belongs to a
      bell
      > founder, also a great wheel lathe. I have yet to find a documentary
      > example of a wood turner using a continuous rotation lathe pre-1600.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Tom R.

      The Lathe with continuous rotation
      The foot driven Lathe with continuous rotation was
      introduced in the 18th century. Initially used by
      royalty, the Lathe eventually found its way to the all
      the craftsmen. The Lathe was built out of wood and
      later the wood was replaced by metal frames. For
      nearly 200 years the Lathe remained unchanged. In the
      early 20th century the foot driven Lathe was replaced
      by a water driven Lathe.