Bone, Antler, Ivory and Horn

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
      A bit of worthwhile news for those who would like to do skeletal
      materials work. This is more comprehensive than just the York
      Archaeology book of roughly the same title. The prime difference
      is that the York book is limited to that one area while the
      1985 book never was. The York book does contain an antler saw
      that the 1985 book doesn't.

      I wrote several months ago.:

      >>>Dr. Arthur MacGregor is THE expert on skeletal materials work
      >>>in England
      >>>and is attached to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. His 1985 book on
      >>>Bone, Antler, Ivory and Horn is the Bible on Bonework from Roman
      >>>through Medieval Times.
      >>>
      >>>Master Finnr was attempting to get the 1985 book of his republished
      >>>for other reenactors and had been talking to a publisher and Arthur
      >>>Macregor about republishing it but had never linked the two.

      I had attempted to get this reprinted after Master Finnr died.
      I am very glad Barnes and Noble saw the worth of the book and
      they generally reprint at reasonable prices.

      Guthrum of Regia Anglorum, an archaeologist in Scotland, responded.
      > Anyway, via one of my archaeology lists I found out that it has
      > just been reprinted:
      >
      > MacGregor, A. 'Bone, Antler, Ivory and Horn: the Technology of
      > Skeletal Materials since the Roman period'. The US publisher is
      > Barnes and Noble, the ISBN is 0-7099-3507-2.

      I have a lot of articles on bone and antler work and a fair number
      of books. If you had to have ONE MacGregor's is the one to get.

      Magnus