RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: technical question

  • Avery
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2003
      >'Central Machine' is a Chinese export… [Delta are… or were until very
      recently… made in… ummm… Missouri, I think… anyway, they wave the flag as
      being 'American Made'…] Central Machine stuff are pretty much all
      knock-offs of other designs.

      Fine Woodworking, a number of years ago, did an article on buying imported
      machinery, what to look for and what to watch out for. It was reprinted in
      one of their, "Fine Woodworking on...." books, but I don't know which ones.
      What I mostly remember was that the thing they seemed the most concerned
      about was the thing you have the least ability to really check - the motor
      and bearings. After that, they expressed dismay at cast iron stuff being
      replaced with stamped sheet metal in some import tools.

      Avery