Turning Green Wood

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
      I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
      have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.

      I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
      cover:

      I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
      you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?

      The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
      right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
      yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
      bringing green wood into the house?

      Thanks,
      Ulrich

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • Arthur Slaughter
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
        To keep green wood I just pile the logs in the shade and try to get then cut
        up and turned within a reasonable time frame. Some have ben behind my shed
        for months. you will have to cut off about four inches of the ends to
        avoid cracks but when you are getting the wood free it's not a big deal.
        The only cure I know of for critters is to keep the wood up off the ground
        and spray for them on occasion. Raffen mentions this in one of his books.
        Finn
        >From: Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Turning Green Wood
        >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:58:40 -0800 (PST)
        >

        >I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
        >have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.
        >
        >I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
        >cover:
        >
        >I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
        >you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?
        >
        >The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
        >right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
        >yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
        >bringing green wood into the house?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Ulrich

        >Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
        >http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
          rope through holes in the side is period.

          James Cunningham
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
            I guess it depends of the time frame.
            I see this all the time on Viking Sea Chests but I have yet to run across an extant example of it.

            Halv

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
              <baronconal@y...> wrote:
              > Looking for chest handles....
              >
              > That look kinda medievalish...
              >
              > The kind that fold down when not in use....
              >
              > The kind that only lift part
              > of the way and then stop so they
              > don't squash fingers.....
              >

              > Anyone have other sugestions?
              >

              > =====
              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

              Make them yourself out of 3/8" or 1/2" square iron bar. It's pretty
              easy in a forge or with an Oxy/Acet rig. In an evening of
              experimenting in your garage you can make al you need.
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                It’s period for Tudor. Maggie Reynold’s article “Chests from the Mary
                Rose” documents them for the Type 1.1.2 chest.

                Will

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tom Rettie
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Looking for chest handles....
                  >
                  > That look kinda medievalish...

                  I've used these from Horton Brasses and liked them very much. They match pretty well a
                  couple of lifts I've seen in the Victoria and Albert.

                  Regards,

                  Fin

                  http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/trunkhardware/131
                • wsf
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004

                    bill

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                      I guess I sould have been more
                      specific.

                      The chest is for my wife. She wants
                      something 'that looks nice'. I want
                      a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                      pack. That was why I asked about
                      the type that fold down.

                      She wanted it to pack all of the
                      lunch serving equip she hauls to
                      events.

                      She enjoys brining a mini-feast
                      and setting up lunch and feeding
                      almost anyone that wanders by.

                      I'll check the suggested places.

                      Thanks!!!

                      =====

                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Tim Bray
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                        >The chest is for my wife. She wants
                        >something 'that looks nice'. I want
                        >a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                        >pack. That was why I asked about
                        >the type that fold down.

                        Like this one, from LV:
                        http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/Handle.htm

                        I wire-brush the rust off until the whole thing is white, then heat-blue it
                        and seal with linseed oil/beeswax while the metal is still hot.

                        Cheers,
                        Colin

                        Albion Works
                        Furniture and Accessories