Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
      Conal,

      I've seen this style on a period chest, though I don't remember where:

      http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?page=40223&category=3,41427,41376&ccurrency=1&SID=

      If you don't want to buy them, you could probably make them with bar
      stock, some plate metal, and butch cotter pins. Drill two holes in the
      side of the chest for the cotter pins an clinch it over inside.

      Ulrich

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
        I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
        have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.

        I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
        cover:

        I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
        you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?

        The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
        right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
        yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
        bringing green wood into the house?

        Thanks,
        Ulrich

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • Arthur Slaughter
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
          To keep green wood I just pile the logs in the shade and try to get then cut
          up and turned within a reasonable time frame. Some have ben behind my shed
          for months. you will have to cut off about four inches of the ends to
          avoid cracks but when you are getting the wood free it's not a big deal.
          The only cure I know of for critters is to keep the wood up off the ground
          and spray for them on occasion. Raffen mentions this in one of his books.
          Finn
          >From: Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...>
          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Turning Green Wood
          >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:58:40 -0800 (PST)
          >

          >I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
          >have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.
          >
          >I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
          >cover:
          >
          >I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
          >you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?
          >
          >The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
          >right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
          >yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
          >bringing green wood into the house?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Ulrich

          >Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
          >http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
            rope through holes in the side is period.

            James Cunningham
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
              I guess it depends of the time frame.
              I see this all the time on Viking Sea Chests but I have yet to run across an extant example of it.

              Halv

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                > Looking for chest handles....
                >
                > That look kinda medievalish...
                >
                > The kind that fold down when not in use....
                >
                > The kind that only lift part
                > of the way and then stop so they
                > don't squash fingers.....
                >

                > Anyone have other sugestions?
                >

                > =====
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                Make them yourself out of 3/8" or 1/2" square iron bar. It's pretty
                easy in a forge or with an Oxy/Acet rig. In an evening of
                experimenting in your garage you can make al you need.
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                  It’s period for Tudor. Maggie Reynold’s article “Chests from the Mary
                  Rose” documents them for the Type 1.1.2 chest.

                  Will

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tom Rettie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Looking for chest handles....
                    >
                    > That look kinda medievalish...

                    I've used these from Horton Brasses and liked them very much. They match pretty well a
                    couple of lifts I've seen in the Victoria and Albert.

                    Regards,

                    Fin

                    http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/trunkhardware/131
                  • wsf
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004

                      bill

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                        I guess I sould have been more
                        specific.

                        The chest is for my wife. She wants
                        something 'that looks nice'. I want
                        a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                        pack. That was why I asked about
                        the type that fold down.

                        She wanted it to pack all of the
                        lunch serving equip she hauls to
                        events.

                        She enjoys brining a mini-feast
                        and setting up lunch and feeding
                        almost anyone that wanders by.

                        I'll check the suggested places.

                        Thanks!!!

                        =====

                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Tim Bray
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                          >The chest is for my wife. She wants
                          >something 'that looks nice'. I want
                          >a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                          >pack. That was why I asked about
                          >the type that fold down.

                          Like this one, from LV:
                          http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/Handle.htm

                          I wire-brush the rust off until the whole thing is white, then heat-blue it
                          and seal with linseed oil/beeswax while the metal is still hot.

                          Cheers,
                          Colin

                          Albion Works
                          Furniture and Accessories