Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles

  • Dragano Abbruciati
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
      This is about the only place I know of where a man can talk about his wife's chest and it not be X-rated.  Anyway....

      Are you specifically looking for metal handles?  If not you can achieve what you are trying to accomplish with a good sturdy wooden handle and a couple of hinges.  When not in use the handle will not stick out very far and when you lift up on the handle it will not be able to go past 90 degrees.

      Dragano

      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
      Looking for chest handles....

      That look kinda medievalish...

      The kind that fold down when not in use....

      The kind that only lift part
      of the way and then stop so they
      don't squash fingers.....

      I've looked in the Lee Valley catalog.
      They had one type that was workable, but
      my wife doesn't like them ( her chest ).
      They had another that was $24 per
      handle....wow... didn't want to spend more
      on the handles than I spent on the materials
      so far...

      Anyone have other sugestions?

      =====

    • Bruce S. R. Lee
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
        I think Lee Valley have a pretty fair range of handles of varying
        'mediaeval-oid-ness' - I think you have looked at the rusted iron things
        that bolt on such as style 01A61.75. I was certain that there was a
        smaller version, but its either been discontinued or my brain is going
        mouldy - probably the later.

        Would fully recessed handles be OK? There are both brass and now steel
        recessed handles which lock out at 90 degrees - they have just released
        06W03.50 in steel, as well as a little brother - the recess has a nice
        diaper pattern.

        In brass there is the 00A19.01 series - pretty $$$, but look at
        the 01a44.03 series - much cheaper, goes -almost- to 90, and will go
        further if you knock the hinge pin out & do a bit of fileing before reassembly.

        Do I drool over LV catalogs too much? Nahhh. But they do bend themselves
        into interesting shapes to serve you.

        regards
        Brusi of Orkney.
        who regularly spends $100 on postage per order with LV ;-)

        At 01:16 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:

        >Looking for chest handles....
        >
        >Anyone have other sugestions?
        >

        >=====
        >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      • Bob Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
          Excellency,

          I don't know if this has been suggested or not since I am coming back to the
          group late and am too lazy to read the thread (howzat fer a disclaimer...)
          but I have had good success with D.C. Mitchell at http://www.dcmitchell.org/
          I have purchased strap, H and custom hinges from them and they look great.

          Just another resource.

          Back to the shadows from whence I came,

          Lord Robert Wright of Darachshire,

          Bob Martin

          Windows has crashed. I am the Blue Screen of Death. No one hears your
          screams... (literal translation of a Windows error in Japanese...)

          >From: "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee@...>
          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles
          >Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:55:33 +1100
          >
          >I think Lee Valley have a pretty fair range of handles of varying
          >'mediaeval-oid-ness' - I think you have looked at the rusted iron things
          >that bolt on such as style 01A61.75. I was certain that there was a
          >smaller version, but its either been discontinued or my brain is going
          >mouldy - probably the later.
          >
          >Would fully recessed handles be OK? There are both brass and now steel
          >recessed handles which lock out at 90 degrees - they have just released
          >06W03.50 in steel, as well as a little brother - the recess has a nice
          >diaper pattern.
          >
          >In brass there is the 00A19.01 series - pretty $$$, but look at
          >the 01a44.03 series - much cheaper, goes -almost- to 90, and will go
          >further if you knock the hinge pin out & do a bit of fileing before
          >reassembly.
          >
          >Do I drool over LV catalogs too much? Nahhh. But they do bend themselves
          >into interesting shapes to serve you.
          >
          >regards
          >Brusi of Orkney.
          >who regularly spends $100 on postage per order with LV ;-)
          >

          >At 01:16 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:
          >
          > >Looking for chest handles....
          > >
          > >Anyone have other sugestions?
          > >

          > >=====
          > >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
            Conal,

            I've seen this style on a period chest, though I don't remember where:

            http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?page=40223&category=3,41427,41376&ccurrency=1&SID=

            If you don't want to buy them, you could probably make them with bar
            stock, some plate metal, and butch cotter pins. Drill two holes in the
            side of the chest for the cotter pins an clinch it over inside.

            Ulrich

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
              I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
              have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.

              I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
              cover:

              I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
              you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?

              The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
              right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
              yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
              bringing green wood into the house?

              Thanks,
              Ulrich

              http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
            • Arthur Slaughter
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                To keep green wood I just pile the logs in the shade and try to get then cut
                up and turned within a reasonable time frame. Some have ben behind my shed
                for months. you will have to cut off about four inches of the ends to
                avoid cracks but when you are getting the wood free it's not a big deal.
                The only cure I know of for critters is to keep the wood up off the ground
                and spray for them on occasion. Raffen mentions this in one of his books.
                Finn
                >From: Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Turning Green Wood
                >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:58:40 -0800 (PST)
                >

                >I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
                >have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.
                >
                >I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
                >cover:
                >
                >I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
                >you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?
                >
                >The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
                >right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
                >yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
                >bringing green wood into the house?
                >
                >Thanks,
                >Ulrich

                >Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
                >http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                  rope through holes in the side is period.

                  James Cunningham
[...]

                • Schuster, Robert L.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                    I guess it depends of the time frame.
                    I see this all the time on Viking Sea Chests but I have yet to run across an extant example of it.

                    Halv

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                      <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                      > Looking for chest handles....
                      >
                      > That look kinda medievalish...
                      >
                      > The kind that fold down when not in use....
                      >
                      > The kind that only lift part
                      > of the way and then stop so they
                      > don't squash fingers.....
                      >

                      > Anyone have other sugestions?
                      >

                      > =====
                      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                      Make them yourself out of 3/8" or 1/2" square iron bar. It's pretty
                      easy in a forge or with an Oxy/Acet rig. In an evening of
                      experimenting in your garage you can make al you need.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                        It’s period for Tudor. Maggie Reynold’s article “Chests from the Mary
                        Rose” documents them for the Type 1.1.2 chest.

                        Will

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Tom Rettie
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > Looking for chest handles....
                          >
                          > That look kinda medievalish...

                          I've used these from Horton Brasses and liked them very much. They match pretty well a
                          couple of lifts I've seen in the Victoria and Albert.

                          Regards,

                          Fin

                          http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/trunkhardware/131
                        • wsf
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004

                            bill

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                              I guess I sould have been more
                              specific.

                              The chest is for my wife. She wants
                              something 'that looks nice'. I want
                              a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                              pack. That was why I asked about
                              the type that fold down.

                              She wanted it to pack all of the
                              lunch serving equip she hauls to
                              events.

                              She enjoys brining a mini-feast
                              and setting up lunch and feeding
                              almost anyone that wanders by.

                              I'll check the suggested places.

                              Thanks!!!

                              =====

                              http://my.yahoo.com
                            • Tim Bray
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                                >The chest is for my wife. She wants
                                >something 'that looks nice'. I want
                                >a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                                >pack. That was why I asked about
                                >the type that fold down.

                                Like this one, from LV:
                                http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/Handle.htm

                                I wire-brush the rust off until the whole thing is white, then heat-blue it
                                and seal with linseed oil/beeswax while the metal is still hot.

                                Cheers,
                                Colin

                                Albion Works
                                Furniture and Accessories