Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles

  • mmchiliman60@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2004
      Sorry about this but i just found out if you go under the products on the page it has hooks hinges and hardware and it will show you all the pieces you need  Mike
    • Iason Vorax
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2004
        Try a leather strap and two nails. :-)

        Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
        Looking for chest handles....

        That look kinda medievalish...

        The kind that fold down when not in use....

        The kind that only lift part
        of the way and then stop so they
        don't squash fingers.....

        I've looked in the Lee Valley catalog.
        They had one type that was workable, but
        my wife doesn't like them ( her chest ).
        They had another that was $24 per
        handle....wow... didn't want to spend more
        on the handles than I spent on the materials
        so far...

        Anyone have other sugestions?

        =====

      • Dragano Abbruciati
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
          This is about the only place I know of where a man can talk about his wife's chest and it not be X-rated.  Anyway....

          Are you specifically looking for metal handles?  If not you can achieve what you are trying to accomplish with a good sturdy wooden handle and a couple of hinges.  When not in use the handle will not stick out very far and when you lift up on the handle it will not be able to go past 90 degrees.

          Dragano

          Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
          Looking for chest handles....

          That look kinda medievalish...

          The kind that fold down when not in use....

          The kind that only lift part
          of the way and then stop so they
          don't squash fingers.....

          I've looked in the Lee Valley catalog.
          They had one type that was workable, but
          my wife doesn't like them ( her chest ).
          They had another that was $24 per
          handle....wow... didn't want to spend more
          on the handles than I spent on the materials
          so far...

          Anyone have other sugestions?

          =====

        • Bruce S. R. Lee
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
            I think Lee Valley have a pretty fair range of handles of varying
            'mediaeval-oid-ness' - I think you have looked at the rusted iron things
            that bolt on such as style 01A61.75. I was certain that there was a
            smaller version, but its either been discontinued or my brain is going
            mouldy - probably the later.

            Would fully recessed handles be OK? There are both brass and now steel
            recessed handles which lock out at 90 degrees - they have just released
            06W03.50 in steel, as well as a little brother - the recess has a nice
            diaper pattern.

            In brass there is the 00A19.01 series - pretty $$$, but look at
            the 01a44.03 series - much cheaper, goes -almost- to 90, and will go
            further if you knock the hinge pin out & do a bit of fileing before reassembly.

            Do I drool over LV catalogs too much? Nahhh. But they do bend themselves
            into interesting shapes to serve you.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney.
            who regularly spends $100 on postage per order with LV ;-)

            At 01:16 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:

            >Looking for chest handles....
            >
            >Anyone have other sugestions?
            >

            >=====
            >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          • Bob Martin
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
              Excellency,

              I don't know if this has been suggested or not since I am coming back to the
              group late and am too lazy to read the thread (howzat fer a disclaimer...)
              but I have had good success with D.C. Mitchell at http://www.dcmitchell.org/
              I have purchased strap, H and custom hinges from them and they look great.

              Just another resource.

              Back to the shadows from whence I came,

              Lord Robert Wright of Darachshire,

              Bob Martin

              Windows has crashed. I am the Blue Screen of Death. No one hears your
              screams... (literal translation of a Windows error in Japanese...)

              >From: "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee@...>
              >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles
              >Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:55:33 +1100
              >
              >I think Lee Valley have a pretty fair range of handles of varying
              >'mediaeval-oid-ness' - I think you have looked at the rusted iron things
              >that bolt on such as style 01A61.75. I was certain that there was a
              >smaller version, but its either been discontinued or my brain is going
              >mouldy - probably the later.
              >
              >Would fully recessed handles be OK? There are both brass and now steel
              >recessed handles which lock out at 90 degrees - they have just released
              >06W03.50 in steel, as well as a little brother - the recess has a nice
              >diaper pattern.
              >
              >In brass there is the 00A19.01 series - pretty $$$, but look at
              >the 01a44.03 series - much cheaper, goes -almost- to 90, and will go
              >further if you knock the hinge pin out & do a bit of fileing before
              >reassembly.
              >
              >Do I drool over LV catalogs too much? Nahhh. But they do bend themselves
              >into interesting shapes to serve you.
              >
              >regards
              >Brusi of Orkney.
              >who regularly spends $100 on postage per order with LV ;-)
              >

              >At 01:16 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:
              >
              > >Looking for chest handles....
              > >
              > >Anyone have other sugestions?
              > >

              > >=====
              > >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                Conal,

                I've seen this style on a period chest, though I don't remember where:

                http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?page=40223&category=3,41427,41376&ccurrency=1&SID=

                If you don't want to buy them, you could probably make them with bar
                stock, some plate metal, and butch cotter pins. Drill two holes in the
                side of the chest for the cotter pins an clinch it over inside.

                Ulrich

                http://my.yahoo.com
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                  I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
                  have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.

                  I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
                  cover:

                  I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
                  you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?

                  The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
                  right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
                  yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
                  bringing green wood into the house?

                  Thanks,
                  Ulrich

                  http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                • Arthur Slaughter
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                    To keep green wood I just pile the logs in the shade and try to get then cut
                    up and turned within a reasonable time frame. Some have ben behind my shed
                    for months. you will have to cut off about four inches of the ends to
                    avoid cracks but when you are getting the wood free it's not a big deal.
                    The only cure I know of for critters is to keep the wood up off the ground
                    and spray for them on occasion. Raffen mentions this in one of his books.
                    Finn
                    >From: Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...>
                    >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Turning Green Wood
                    >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:58:40 -0800 (PST)
                    >

                    >I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
                    >have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.
                    >
                    >I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
                    >cover:
                    >
                    >I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
                    >you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?
                    >
                    >The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
                    >right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
                    >yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
                    >bringing green wood into the house?
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Ulrich

                    >Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
                    >http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                      rope through holes in the side is period.

                      James Cunningham
[...]

                    • Schuster, Robert L.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                        I guess it depends of the time frame.
                        I see this all the time on Viking Sea Chests but I have yet to run across an extant example of it.

                        Halv

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                          > Looking for chest handles....
                          >
                          > That look kinda medievalish...
                          >
                          > The kind that fold down when not in use....
                          >
                          > The kind that only lift part
                          > of the way and then stop so they
                          > don't squash fingers.....
                          >

                          > Anyone have other sugestions?
                          >

                          > =====
                          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                          Make them yourself out of 3/8" or 1/2" square iron bar. It's pretty
                          easy in a forge or with an Oxy/Acet rig. In an evening of
                          experimenting in your garage you can make al you need.
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 3, 2004
                            It’s period for Tudor. Maggie Reynold’s article “Chests from the Mary
                            Rose” documents them for the Type 1.1.2 chest.

                            Will

[...]

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Tom Rettie
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004
                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Looking for chest handles....
                              >
                              > That look kinda medievalish...

                              I've used these from Horton Brasses and liked them very much. They match pretty well a
                              couple of lifts I've seen in the Victoria and Albert.

                              Regards,

                              Fin

                              http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/trunkhardware/131
                            • wsf
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 4, 2004

                                bill

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                                  I guess I sould have been more
                                  specific.

                                  The chest is for my wife. She wants
                                  something 'that looks nice'. I want
                                  a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                                  pack. That was why I asked about
                                  the type that fold down.

                                  She wanted it to pack all of the
                                  lunch serving equip she hauls to
                                  events.

                                  She enjoys brining a mini-feast
                                  and setting up lunch and feeding
                                  almost anyone that wanders by.

                                  I'll check the suggested places.

                                  Thanks!!!

                                  =====

                                  http://my.yahoo.com
                                • Tim Bray
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
                                    >The chest is for my wife. She wants
                                    >something 'that looks nice'. I want
                                    >a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                                    >pack. That was why I asked about
                                    >the type that fold down.

                                    Like this one, from LV:
                                    http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/Handle.htm

                                    I wire-brush the rust off until the whole thing is white, then heat-blue it
                                    and seal with linseed oil/beeswax while the metal is still hot.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Colin

                                    Albion Works
                                    Furniture and Accessories