Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles

  • mmchiliman60@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2 7:05 PM
      i found some handles at  Jackalope there similaar to a pier one but only in nr\ew mexico an calif.area but you can call them and explain what type your looking for and if they have them they will ship i found the nice metal round hadles that flip up as you lift and go down the only d\bad thing was they had an eyebolt around both ends were it bolted in but i just removed them and cyt metal yo make the wrap type and bend over in the inside of the boxand there only like 4 dollar a handle the also have pulls and hinges all the stuff is a little rusted like the stuff you see on all the pier one furniture now here are the phone # to the 2 stores ive dealt with toll free 866 867 9813 in alberqerque .and   505 471 8539  in santa fe  good luck they do ship i just found out if you go to www.jackalope.com and click on find with  search  for left empty if brings up everything and after about 4 items is the list of the hardware they have everything from hinges to decorative nailsand the drop down iron pullis the one i got and they now have pictures up last year the were still building the page and they are 5.50 each i hope this helps Mike
    • mmchiliman60@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2 7:13 PM
        Sorry about this but i just found out if you go under the products on the page it has hooks hinges and hardware and it will show you all the pieces you need  Mike
      • Iason Vorax
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 2 10:58 PM
          Try a leather strap and two nails. :-)

          Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
          Looking for chest handles....

          That look kinda medievalish...

          The kind that fold down when not in use....

          The kind that only lift part
          of the way and then stop so they
          don't squash fingers.....

          I've looked in the Lee Valley catalog.
          They had one type that was workable, but
          my wife doesn't like them ( her chest ).
          They had another that was $24 per
          handle....wow... didn't want to spend more
          on the handles than I spent on the materials
          so far...

          Anyone have other sugestions?

          =====

        • Dragano Abbruciati
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3 6:14 AM
            This is about the only place I know of where a man can talk about his wife's chest and it not be X-rated.  Anyway....

            Are you specifically looking for metal handles?  If not you can achieve what you are trying to accomplish with a good sturdy wooden handle and a couple of hinges.  When not in use the handle will not stick out very far and when you lift up on the handle it will not be able to go past 90 degrees.

            Dragano

            Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
            Looking for chest handles....

            That look kinda medievalish...

            The kind that fold down when not in use....

            The kind that only lift part
            of the way and then stop so they
            don't squash fingers.....

            I've looked in the Lee Valley catalog.
            They had one type that was workable, but
            my wife doesn't like them ( her chest ).
            They had another that was $24 per
            handle....wow... didn't want to spend more
            on the handles than I spent on the materials
            so far...

            Anyone have other sugestions?

            =====

          • Bruce S. R. Lee
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3 6:55 AM
              I think Lee Valley have a pretty fair range of handles of varying
              'mediaeval-oid-ness' - I think you have looked at the rusted iron things
              that bolt on such as style 01A61.75. I was certain that there was a
              smaller version, but its either been discontinued or my brain is going
              mouldy - probably the later.

              Would fully recessed handles be OK? There are both brass and now steel
              recessed handles which lock out at 90 degrees - they have just released
              06W03.50 in steel, as well as a little brother - the recess has a nice
              diaper pattern.

              In brass there is the 00A19.01 series - pretty $$$, but look at
              the 01a44.03 series - much cheaper, goes -almost- to 90, and will go
              further if you knock the hinge pin out & do a bit of fileing before reassembly.

              Do I drool over LV catalogs too much? Nahhh. But they do bend themselves
              into interesting shapes to serve you.

              regards
              Brusi of Orkney.
              who regularly spends $100 on postage per order with LV ;-)

              At 01:16 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:

              >Looking for chest handles....
              >
              >Anyone have other sugestions?
              >

              >=====
              >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            • Bob Martin
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3 7:02 AM
                Excellency,

                I don't know if this has been suggested or not since I am coming back to the
                group late and am too lazy to read the thread (howzat fer a disclaimer...)
                but I have had good success with D.C. Mitchell at http://www.dcmitchell.org/
                I have purchased strap, H and custom hinges from them and they look great.

                Just another resource.

                Back to the shadows from whence I came,

                Lord Robert Wright of Darachshire,

                Bob Martin

                Windows has crashed. I am the Blue Screen of Death. No one hears your
                screams... (literal translation of a Windows error in Japanese...)

                >From: "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] chest handles
                >Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:55:33 +1100
                >
                >I think Lee Valley have a pretty fair range of handles of varying
                >'mediaeval-oid-ness' - I think you have looked at the rusted iron things
                >that bolt on such as style 01A61.75. I was certain that there was a
                >smaller version, but its either been discontinued or my brain is going
                >mouldy - probably the later.
                >
                >Would fully recessed handles be OK? There are both brass and now steel
                >recessed handles which lock out at 90 degrees - they have just released
                >06W03.50 in steel, as well as a little brother - the recess has a nice
                >diaper pattern.
                >
                >In brass there is the 00A19.01 series - pretty $$$, but look at
                >the 01a44.03 series - much cheaper, goes -almost- to 90, and will go
                >further if you knock the hinge pin out & do a bit of fileing before
                >reassembly.
                >
                >Do I drool over LV catalogs too much? Nahhh. But they do bend themselves
                >into interesting shapes to serve you.
                >
                >regards
                >Brusi of Orkney.
                >who regularly spends $100 on postage per order with LV ;-)
                >

                >At 01:16 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:
                >
                > >Looking for chest handles....
                > >
                > >Anyone have other sugestions?
                > >

                > >=====
                > >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3 7:17 AM
                  Conal,

                  I've seen this style on a period chest, though I don't remember where:

                  http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp?page=40223&category=3,41427,41376&ccurrency=1&SID=

                  If you don't want to buy them, you could probably make them with bar
                  stock, some plate metal, and butch cotter pins. Drill two holes in the
                  side of the chest for the cotter pins an clinch it over inside.

                  Ulrich

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • Joseph Hayes
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3 8:58 AM
                    I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
                    have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.

                    I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
                    cover:

                    I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
                    you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?

                    The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
                    right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
                    yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
                    bringing green wood into the house?

                    Thanks,
                    Ulrich

                    http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Arthur Slaughter
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3 9:20 AM
                      To keep green wood I just pile the logs in the shade and try to get then cut
                      up and turned within a reasonable time frame. Some have ben behind my shed
                      for months. you will have to cut off about four inches of the ends to
                      avoid cracks but when you are getting the wood free it's not a big deal.
                      The only cure I know of for critters is to keep the wood up off the ground
                      and spray for them on occasion. Raffen mentions this in one of his books.
                      Finn
                      >From: Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...>
                      >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Turning Green Wood
                      >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:58:40 -0800 (PST)
                      >

                      >I took a woodturning class on Saturday that focused on green wood. I
                      >have the book, "Turning Green Wood" by Michael O'Donnell.
                      >
                      >I have two issues that the instructor and (I think) the book didn't
                      >cover:
                      >
                      >I can get geen wood but don't always have the time to turn. Do any of
                      >you have any suggestions on keeping it wet? Can I submerge it?
                      >
                      >The piece I turned in class was wormy. I don't always clean my shop
                      >right away and I don't want critters getting in my wood stacks or worse
                      >yet, into my house framing. How can I deal with insects before
                      >bringing green wood into the house?
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >Ulrich

                      >Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
                      >http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3 2:46 PM
                        rope through holes in the side is period.

                        James Cunningham
[...]

                      • Schuster, Robert L.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 3 2:58 PM
                          I guess it depends of the time frame.
                          I see this all the time on Viking Sea Chests but I have yet to run across an extant example of it.

                          Halv

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 3 5:56 PM
                            <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                            > Looking for chest handles....
                            >
                            > That look kinda medievalish...
                            >
                            > The kind that fold down when not in use....
                            >
                            > The kind that only lift part
                            > of the way and then stop so they
                            > don't squash fingers.....
                            >

                            > Anyone have other sugestions?
                            >

                            > =====
                            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                            Make them yourself out of 3/8" or 1/2" square iron bar. It's pretty
                            easy in a forge or with an Oxy/Acet rig. In an evening of
                            experimenting in your garage you can make al you need.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 3 10:37 PM
                              It’s period for Tudor. Maggie Reynold’s article “Chests from the Mary
                              Rose” documents them for the Type 1.1.2 chest.

                              Will

[...]

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Tom Rettie
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 4 4:07 AM
                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > Looking for chest handles....
                                >
                                > That look kinda medievalish...

                                I've used these from Horton Brasses and liked them very much. They match pretty well a
                                couple of lifts I've seen in the Victoria and Albert.

                                Regards,

                                Fin

                                http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/trunkhardware/131
                              • wsf
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 4 5:43 AM

                                  bill

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 5 4:56 AM
                                    I guess I sould have been more
                                    specific.

                                    The chest is for my wife. She wants
                                    something 'that looks nice'. I want
                                    a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                                    pack. That was why I asked about
                                    the type that fold down.

                                    She wanted it to pack all of the
                                    lunch serving equip she hauls to
                                    events.

                                    She enjoys brining a mini-feast
                                    and setting up lunch and feeding
                                    almost anyone that wanders by.

                                    I'll check the suggested places.

                                    Thanks!!!

                                    =====

                                    http://my.yahoo.com
                                  • Tim Bray
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 5 8:59 AM
                                      >The chest is for my wife. She wants
                                      >something 'that looks nice'. I want
                                      >a handle that keeps the chest easy to
                                      >pack. That was why I asked about
                                      >the type that fold down.

                                      Like this one, from LV:
                                      http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/Handle.htm

                                      I wire-brush the rust off until the whole thing is white, then heat-blue it
                                      and seal with linseed oil/beeswax while the metal is still hot.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Colin

                                      Albion Works
                                      Furniture and Accessories