RE: [MedievalSawdust] new subject

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
      I did exactly that for my own fence posts, minus the kerosene. Roofing tar
      applied liberally.

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
        Ok now I will turn this into a historical question!

        What is the difference between creosote and pine pitch/pine tar.  The stuff they call navel stores that whas used on the rigging of sailing ships?

        James Cunningham
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004
          I believe that creosote is derived from fossil fuels.

          James Cunningham wrote:

          Ok now I will turn this into a historical question!

          What is the difference between creosote and pine pitch/pine tar. The stuff
          they call navel stores that whas used on the rigging of sailing ships?
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
            Just following the end of World War 2, n the Essex,U.K. Seaside Town of Southend-on-Sea where my Father's Company owned a boatyard [mainly to maintain his small fleet of pleasure craft and "inshore trawlers"], the Boatyard was right next door to the Gas Works of the Southend Gas, Light, & Coke Company Ltd, the local heating- and cooking- fuel manufacturer for thee whole of the Borough.
            Our Boatyard Manager used to buy the Tar, and Pitch, and Creosote he needed direct from the Gas Works Manager next door - but it was a "bring-your-own-container" kind of Deal, which meant the Yard's Apprentices trundling the hand barrows round from the yard to the Gas Works with the empty drums, and then a much harder journey back with the full ones. The Gas Works also produced and sold "Black Varnish".
            Buying direct from the Plant as we did, we got those products at "rock-bottom" prices. I have always understood that all of them were by-products of the process of producing coal-gas.

            James Cunningham wrote:

            Ok now I will turn this into a historical question!

            What is the difference between creosote and pine pitch/pine tar.  The stuff
            they call navel stores that whas used on the rigging of sailing ships?

            Yours in service,
            Julian Wilson,
            late-medieval Re-enactor.
            Historian and Master Artisan to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            in "olde" Jersey

          • julian wilson
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
              I wouldn't store pitch, or tar, or creosote in my navel, thank you. Be far too hard to clean out, quite apart from the skin burns.
              Surely you mean "Naval"?  :-)>

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                What is the difference between creosote and pine pitch/pine tar.

                Julian is right, creosote is made from coal tar - which in turn is a by-product from making coal gas.  IOW it comes from coal, whereas the pine tar comes from ... wait for it... pine trees!

                Pine tar is less toxic/carcinogenic than coal tar, although it probably still has some of the cancer-causing agents in it.

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                  They call the stuff that gets in a wood burning chimney creosote!

                  James Cunningham

                  > I believe that creosote is derived from fossil fuels.
                  >
                  > James Cunningham wrote:
                  >
                  > Ok now I will turn this into a historical question!
                  >
                  > What is the difference between creosote and pine pitch/pine tar. The
                  stuff
                  > they call navel stores that whas used on the rigging of sailing ships?
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                    Which is more fun navel jelly or naval jelly?  Computers are not the only ones who make a big deal out of one letter!   OK !  I did mean Naval stores.

                    James Cunningham

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 3, 2004
                      And here in the desert we have Creosote bushes.....

                      So I did a search to find out what the US Government considers Creosote (from http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts85.html ):

                      What is creosote?

                      Creosote is the name used for a variety of products: wood creosote, coal tar creosote, coal tar, coal tar pitch, and coal tar pitch volatiles. These products are mixtures of many chemicals created by high-temperature treatment of beech and other woods, coal, or from the resin of the creosote bush.

                      Wood creosote is a colorless to yellowish greasy liquid with a smoky odor and burned taste. Coal tar creosote is a thick, oily liquid that is typically amber to black in color. Coal tar and coal tar pitch are usually thick, black, or dark-brown liquids or semisolids with a smoky odor.

                      Wood creosote has been used as a disinfectant, a laxative, and a cough treatment, but is rarely used these ways today. Coal tar products are used in medicines to treat skin diseases such as psoriasis, and are also used as animal and bird repellents, insecticides, restricted pesticides, animal dips, and fungicides. Coal tar creosote is the most widely used wood preservative in the United States. Coal tar, coal tar pitch, and coal tar pitch volatiles are used for roofing, road paving, aluminum smelting, and coking.