Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: technical question

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      --- "vinlandar <vinlandar@...>"
      <vinlandar@...> wrote:
      > Chas,
      >
      > These are both Central Machinery tools.

      Does anyone know much about Central Machinery?

      I've thought about one od their lathes...

      =====

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • vinlandar <vinlandar@cox.net>
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Baron,

        An outfit named 'Harbor Freight' sells them in my area. I was given
        a small benchtop drillpress which seems really nice. Their tools
        seem to be copies of other brands made in China. The belt/disc
        sander I saw by Central Machinery looks an awful lot like another
        brand I saw at Home Depot, only about 25% less expensive. I THINK
        the brand at Home Depot was Delta, but I am not positive. For all I
        know, the two brands may both be made in the same factory,or use
        parts from a lot of the same suppliers.

        What Chas said about checking them out carefully makes sense. If I
        did an awful lot of woodworking, maybe a knockoff might not stand up
        as well as an original. Then again, maybe it might. Difficult to
        say, I guess. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

        -Charlie

      • jrwinkler@msn.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          'Central Machine' is a Chinese export…  [Delta are… or were until very recently… made in… ummm… Missouri, I think… anyway, they wave the flag as being 'American Made'…]  Central Machine stuff are pretty much all knock-offs of other designs.  In some ways they're built cheaper and a little more shoddy that more 'name' brands… in some ways they can actually be built a bit better…  (castings are generally heavier… but I'm not sure the metallurgical qualities of the metal used for the castings)…  the best thing I can advise is to research the tool "type" thoroughly… understand what attributes are desirable in a particular type of tool and what attributes should be avoided.  Then examine the tool thoroughly…     Harbor Freight (at least the stores I've been in…) has a lot of these 'off brands'… inexpensive stuff…  sometimes though you can actually find some pretty darned good stuff there…   But it is a bit like a treasure hunt… ya' gotta' sift through the overburden to find the diamonds…

          Granted there's a certain tradeoff between price and quality… but that's half the fun… how much can ya' get for how little!

          Chas.

          Does anyone know much about Central Machinery?

          I've thought about one od their lathes...

          =====

        • Avery
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2003
            >'Central Machine' is a Chinese export… [Delta are… or were until very
            recently… made in… ummm… Missouri, I think… anyway, they wave the flag as
            being 'American Made'…] Central Machine stuff are pretty much all
            knock-offs of other designs.

            Fine Woodworking, a number of years ago, did an article on buying imported
            machinery, what to look for and what to watch out for. It was reprinted in
            one of their, "Fine Woodworking on...." books, but I don't know which ones.
            What I mostly remember was that the thing they seemed the most concerned
            about was the thing you have the least ability to really check - the motor
            and bearings. After that, they expressed dismay at cast iron stuff being
            replaced with stamped sheet metal in some import tools.

            Avery