[Fwd: Stefan's Florilegium files for November]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2004
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium files for November
      Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:33:00 -0600
      From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous@...>
      To: Trimaris mailist , SCA-Arts-Sciences maillist
      <artssciences@...>, "West Kingdom, Oertha, "West,
      Atenveldt maillists ,

      Greetings to gentles across the Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November, detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      If you have any comments, criticisms or suggestions for the Florilegium
      please feel free to email them to me.

      After 22 years at Motorola/Freescale Semiconductor as a printed circuit
      board designer I was recently laid off. What this means is that I am
      now having to watch my expenses much closer than I have been. The
      Florilegium is a continuing expense but I would like to keep making it
      available. If you have enjoyed the Florilegium site over the years and
      found it useful, please consider using the PayPal donation button I
      have added to the top page of the site. Unfortunately, the donation is
      not tax deductible for you.

      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information in
      a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

      I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
      me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
      editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new
      format which includes several new features such as making links
      "pickable" and some disguising of all email addresses to make it
      harder for the spammer's programs to harvest email addresses from this
      site. I support the execution of any convicted spammer. Yes, I am
      modifying all 1800+ files as fast as I can. This means that while I
      will continue to add new files each month, the usual amount will be
      reduced. However, as I update the files to the new format, I am adding
      any information I have waiting to go in a file, so there will be more
      updated files. Please let me know if you like the new format or have
      any suggestions.

      Here are the new files for this month:

      In the ANIMALS section:
      Bestiaries-lnks Links to on medieval bestiaries by Dame
      Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      Eiswein-msg Wine made from grapes left on the vine until
      after the first frost.
      In the FOOD section:
      cheese-lnks Links to medieval and modern cheese
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the PERFROMANCE ARTS section:
      muaic2-lnks Links to medieval European music
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

      Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the
      largest amounts of new material:
      cl-Germany-msg Clothing of Medieval Germany.
      almond-milk-msg Making almond milk. Recipes. Deskinning nuts
      angelica-msg Period use of Angelica. Recipes.
      aspic-msg Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
      butter-msg Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
      cinnamon-msg Period cinnamon. Types of cinnamon.
      fd-monks-msg Food of medieval monks.
      flowers-msg Period flowers. Growing flowers.
      G-of-Paradse-msg History and use of the spice Grains of Paradise.
      gardens-msg Medieval gardens. flowers.
      herbs-msg Herbs used in period and how they were used.
      Modern sources.
      humorl-theory-msg Concepts of medieval Humoral Theory.
      maize-msg Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in the
      Americas and its introduction to Europe.
      nuts-msg Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
      p-fd-coloring-msg Period food colorings.
      p-travl-guides-msg Period travel guides.
      salads-msg Period salads. lettuce, greens.
      SCA-transport-msg Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
      ships-msg Ships and shipbuilding. Sailor's food.
      song-sources-msg Sources for medieval songs. Book reviews.
      spices-msg Info. on spices, sources for spices.
      woad-msg History of woad. Making dyes from woad.
      Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
      Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
      the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
      publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

      Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas

      Artssciences mailing list