Re: technical question

  • vinlandar <vinlandar@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      Chas,

      These are both Central Machinery tools. The 12" disc is a direct
      drive 1hp brushless motor, selling for $89.99. The disc/belt combo
      does not list a motor strength, but both the table for the disc and
      the belt portion tilt, the table to 45 deg and the belt to 90. That
      second sander is going for $69.99. All in all, the disc/belt combo
      sounds to the untrained ear like the better deal as it is
      considerably cheaper and seems to me to be able to do more. It WILL
      be a choice of one or the other at least for now.

      -Charlie

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, jrwinkler@m... wrote:
      > Hey Charlie.
      >
      > Not knowing make and model, etc. it's a bit hard to tell. but
      several things go into the equation.

      > 1: Are there variable speed capabilities on either or both?
      > 2: What is the h.p./torque of the respective motors?
      >
      > As far as which one you select. well, depends on what you want to
      do with it. That 4" belt (. we talkin' the Delta here??) gives you a
      nice flat surface with the belt moving in a single direction. it can
      also (depending on model) give you a curve over which to sand. The
      6" disk is good. but a bit small when you consider that you can only
      really use 1/2 of the width of the disk. (the part turning down into
      the table). and of that 3". maybe 2" of that far enough a way from
      the center to be funcitonal.

      > The 12" disk doesn't have any curvish places for sanding. but. it
      does give you about 4.5" to 5" of sanding area on the disk.

    • jrwinkler@msn.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Ah-ha…  well… as noted in my previous post…there are some plus's and minus's on each side… but the combo systems do have a certain versatility…    Some 'Central Machinery' tools can be pretty good… some need a second look.   How sturdy are the benches that the piece will ride on?  Will they flex if you put a little "oomph" in your sanding (which we all do from time to time…)…

        The combo sander is going to have a relatively large number of parts compared to the direct drive system…  how well is it constructed…  … and one other thing…  see if you can get the dealer to let you plug it it and checkout how easy it is to center the 4" belt… and keep it there.   I've seen some of these where the belt has a nasty tendency to 'walk'…

        I'd also check out some other combo systems… see how they're constructed and compare it to the 'Central Machine' version…   most of the Chinese machinery are based on other systems… and then modified for construction and cost benefits…   sometimes they do a really good job… sometimes… ummmmm…..

        You might find that the C.M. system is perfectly good… or you might find that for an extra 20 bucks or so you can go with the same tool but one that may last a bit longer…

        Not all bargains are bargains…

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          --- "vinlandar <vinlandar@...>"
          <vinlandar@...> wrote:
          > Chas,
          >
          > These are both Central Machinery tools.

          Does anyone know much about Central Machinery?

          I've thought about one od their lathes...

          =====

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • vinlandar <vinlandar@cox.net>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            Baron,

            An outfit named 'Harbor Freight' sells them in my area. I was given
            a small benchtop drillpress which seems really nice. Their tools
            seem to be copies of other brands made in China. The belt/disc
            sander I saw by Central Machinery looks an awful lot like another
            brand I saw at Home Depot, only about 25% less expensive. I THINK
            the brand at Home Depot was Delta, but I am not positive. For all I
            know, the two brands may both be made in the same factory,or use
            parts from a lot of the same suppliers.

            What Chas said about checking them out carefully makes sense. If I
            did an awful lot of woodworking, maybe a knockoff might not stand up
            as well as an original. Then again, maybe it might. Difficult to
            say, I guess. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

            -Charlie

          • jrwinkler@msn.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2003
                >'Central Machine' is a Chinese export… [Delta are… or were until very
                recently… made in… ummm… Missouri, I think… anyway, they wave the flag as
                being 'American Made'…] Central Machine stuff are pretty much all
                knock-offs of other designs.

                Fine Woodworking, a number of years ago, did an article on buying imported
                machinery, what to look for and what to watch out for. It was reprinted in
                one of their, "Fine Woodworking on...." books, but I don't know which ones.
                What I mostly remember was that the thing they seemed the most concerned
                about was the thing you have the least ability to really check - the motor
                and bearings. After that, they expressed dismay at cast iron stuff being
                replaced with stamped sheet metal in some import tools.

                Avery