Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: just finished

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      I used to run a brewery.
      Part of that job was making tap handles.  Our tap handles looked like canoe paddles.  We got the mini-paddles from a maker, unfinished.  After applying our logo, I had to finish them.  For consistency I used a wipe-on poly.

      I could have made the poly.  All it is is a recipe with whatever your preference of proportion of linseed or tung oil, mineral spirits, and varnish.  It would be cheaper to make it than to buy a can.

      More importantly, I didn't sand it.  It didn't require much prep between the 3 coats but it did need something.

      What I did was just burnish yesterday's cured coat of dried varnish with the hard and brittle rag that I used to apply the varnish.  The soaked rag had dried and was perfect for my uses.  We got the best result from terry-cloth rags.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        --- msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

        > Milord --
        >
        > this still requires sanding between coats?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Gillian Durham

        Just a quick hit with a scotch-bright pad
        to knock off any rough spots...
        ( they refer to it as 'buffing' on the
        can )

        =====

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com,msgilliandurham
          <msgilliandurham@y...> wrote:
          > > this still requires sanding between coats?
          >
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
          > Just a quick hit with a scotch-bright pad
          > to knock off any rough spots...
          > ( they refer to it as 'buffing' on the
          > can )

          Oooh, excellent! I have a number of soft pine mundane pieces which I
          have put off sealing, as I thought I'd have to sand the entire piece
          after each coat.

          Must have been thinking of some kind of old-fashioned poly :-)

          Thank you so much! Gillian
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            > Oooh, excellent! I have a number of soft pine
            > mundane pieces which I
            > have put off sealing, as I thought I'd have to sand
            > the entire piece
            > after each coat.
            >
            > Must have been thinking of some kind of
            > old-fashioned poly :-)
            >
            > Thank you so much! Gillian

            Here is their webpage!

            http://www.generalfinishes.com

            =====

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
              You can also 'buff' with brown paper bags between coats. It's about
              equivalent to triple or quad 0 steel wool or circa 400-600 grit, but lots
              cheaper.

              Haraldr

              --
              Dave Calafrancesco

              ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!

              --
              Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
              yahoo at drakkar org