just finished

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
      Just finished the woodworking portion
      of a 9 man morris board.

      Poplar with walnut inlay ( saved from being
      firewood ) with a walnut 'frame' around the
      edge of the board.

      Putting a finish that is oil and poly mixed
      on it. Three or four more coats will be following
      this will take a few days. Got it at Rockler's.
      The beauty of oil and the prtection of poly in
      an easy to use wipe on finish.

      I'll pass the name of the product
      along next email...

      Pictures will follow! It's my first inlay
      project and I'm very pleased with the result.

      =====

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004

        > Putting a finish that is oil and poly mixed
        > on it. Three or four more coats will be following
        > this will take a few days. Got it at Rockler's.
        > The beauty of oil and the prtection of poly in
        > an easy to use wipe on finish.
        >
        > I'll pass the name of the product
        > along next email...

        General Finishes

        Arm-R-Seal

        Coat number two on the top....

        =====

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          Milord --

          this still requires sanding between coats?

          Thanks,
          Gillian Durham

        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            I used to run a brewery.
            Part of that job was making tap handles.  Our tap handles looked like canoe paddles.  We got the mini-paddles from a maker, unfinished.  After applying our logo, I had to finish them.  For consistency I used a wipe-on poly.

            I could have made the poly.  All it is is a recipe with whatever your preference of proportion of linseed or tung oil, mineral spirits, and varnish.  It would be cheaper to make it than to buy a can.

            More importantly, I didn't sand it.  It didn't require much prep between the 3 coats but it did need something.

            What I did was just burnish yesterday's cured coat of dried varnish with the hard and brittle rag that I used to apply the varnish.  The soaked rag had dried and was perfect for my uses.  We got the best result from terry-cloth rags.

            --
            -Chris Schwartz
            Silver Spring, MD

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
              --- msgilliandurham <msgilliandurham@...> wrote:

              > Milord --
              >
              > this still requires sanding between coats?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Gillian Durham

              Just a quick hit with a scotch-bright pad
              to knock off any rough spots...
              ( they refer to it as 'buffing' on the
              can )

              =====

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com,msgilliandurham
                <msgilliandurham@y...> wrote:
                > > this still requires sanding between coats?
                >
                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
                <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                > Just a quick hit with a scotch-bright pad
                > to knock off any rough spots...
                > ( they refer to it as 'buffing' on the
                > can )

                Oooh, excellent! I have a number of soft pine mundane pieces which I
                have put off sealing, as I thought I'd have to sand the entire piece
                after each coat.

                Must have been thinking of some kind of old-fashioned poly :-)

                Thank you so much! Gillian
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
                  > Oooh, excellent! I have a number of soft pine
                  > mundane pieces which I
                  > have put off sealing, as I thought I'd have to sand
                  > the entire piece
                  > after each coat.
                  >
                  > Must have been thinking of some kind of
                  > old-fashioned poly :-)
                  >
                  > Thank you so much! Gillian

                  Here is their webpage!

                  http://www.generalfinishes.com

                  =====

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com
                • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                    You can also 'buff' with brown paper bags between coats. It's about
                    equivalent to triple or quad 0 steel wool or circa 400-600 grit, but lots
                    cheaper.

                    Haraldr

                    --
                    Dave Calafrancesco

                    ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!

                    --
                    Haraldr Bassi, Frosted Hills, East
                    yahoo at drakkar org