RE: [MedievalSawdust] grumble grumble and?

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004

      What 'period' hinges are you striking for?  Simple double loops ala 1000 AD, or barrel and pin hinges from later eras?

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
        Barrel and pin. My panel chest is a reproduction of a 1600's English
        model. The embarrassing part is that I can DO the barrel and pin part
        and make a functional hinge. MY problem is cutting and bending the
        straps into pleasing shapes that don’t look like *ahem* “fido’s ass.”

        Master William McNaughton, CL
        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

        What 'period' hinges are you striking for?  Simple double loops ala 1000
        AD, or barrel and pin hinges from later eras?

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        > Blacksmithing. I can't find the right hinges for the right price, so
        > I'm setting steel on fire and hitting it with a hammer.
        >
        > Great fun. Ugly hinges.
        >
        > I also need to do some beading on my panel chest with the scratch
        stock,
        > and I need to make a scratch stock to do it with. The lid needs
        > battens. And I think that's about it for now.
        >
        > Master William McNaughton, CL
        > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
        > (Pardon the glare off of the "CL." It's new. I'll have the shine worn
        > off of it shortly.)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to
        U.S./Canada

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
          So... the Fido-Butt part... are you going for a flaring fleur d li thing?
          Presumably you want more than a simple tongue.

          If you got a wide blobby 'end', it is not outside paradigm to file your
          shape to a something you want. A skilled smith would need less finishing,
          true. And skilled smith would need to finish less. Even going from forge
          to piece with NO filing. You betray nothing doing it the long way.

          What 'period' hinges are you striking for?  Simple double loops ala 1000
          AD, or barrel and pin hinges from later eras?

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          > Blacksmithing. I can't find the right hinges for the right price, so
          > I'm setting steel on fire and hitting it with a hammer.
          >
          > Great fun. Ugly hinges.
          >
          > I also need to do some beading on my panel chest with the scratch
          stock,
          > and I need to make a scratch stock to do it with. The lid needs
          > battens. And I think that's about it for now.
          >
          > Master William McNaughton, CL
          > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
          > (Pardon the glare off of the "CL." It's new. I'll have the shine worn
          > off of it shortly.)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to
          U.S./Canada

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dragano Abbruciati
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
            Mary Rose chest - subtype 2.2.  I would not like Lord Will to ahev me drawn and quartered at KAS

            Various display/carrying chests for merchanting.   I'm working from the inside out.  I start with the product, design a display to keep from loading and unloding boxes, and then design a medieval chest around that.  So far, three designed - one prototype built.

            Medieval pull cart.  Designed to carry the aforementioned display/carrying chests.  Dimensions arrived at so that the cart will stand up in the back of a 4x8 enclosed trailer without having to remove the big wheels.  Very primative drawing so far.

            Oh - and I made some walking sticks at Gatalop XXI over the weekend.

            Dragano

            Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

            What is everyone else working on?