RE: [MedievalSawdust] grumble grumble and?

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
      Blacksmithing. I can't find the right hinges for the right price, so
      I'm setting steel on fire and hitting it with a hammer.

      Great fun. Ugly hinges.

      I also need to do some beading on my panel chest with the scratch stock,
      and I need to make a scratch stock to do it with. The lid needs
      battens. And I think that's about it for now.

      Master William McNaughton, CL
      http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
      (Pardon the glare off of the "CL." It's new. I'll have the shine worn
      off of it shortly.)

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004

        What 'period' hinges are you striking for?  Simple double loops ala 1000 AD, or barrel and pin hinges from later eras?

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
          Barrel and pin. My panel chest is a reproduction of a 1600's English
          model. The embarrassing part is that I can DO the barrel and pin part
          and make a functional hinge. MY problem is cutting and bending the
          straps into pleasing shapes that don’t look like *ahem* “fido’s ass.”

          Master William McNaughton, CL
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          What 'period' hinges are you striking for?  Simple double loops ala 1000
          AD, or barrel and pin hinges from later eras?

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          > Blacksmithing. I can't find the right hinges for the right price, so
          > I'm setting steel on fire and hitting it with a hammer.
          >
          > Great fun. Ugly hinges.
          >
          > I also need to do some beading on my panel chest with the scratch
          stock,
          > and I need to make a scratch stock to do it with. The lid needs
          > battens. And I think that's about it for now.
          >
          > Master William McNaughton, CL
          > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
          > (Pardon the glare off of the "CL." It's new. I'll have the shine worn
          > off of it shortly.)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to
          U.S./Canada

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • C N Schwartz
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
            So... the Fido-Butt part... are you going for a flaring fleur d li thing?
            Presumably you want more than a simple tongue.

            If you got a wide blobby 'end', it is not outside paradigm to file your
            shape to a something you want. A skilled smith would need less finishing,
            true. And skilled smith would need to finish less. Even going from forge
            to piece with NO filing. You betray nothing doing it the long way.

            What 'period' hinges are you striking for?  Simple double loops ala 1000
            AD, or barrel and pin hinges from later eras?

            --
            -Chris Schwartz
            Silver Spring, MD

            > Blacksmithing. I can't find the right hinges for the right price, so
            > I'm setting steel on fire and hitting it with a hammer.
            >
            > Great fun. Ugly hinges.
            >
            > I also need to do some beading on my panel chest with the scratch
            stock,
            > and I need to make a scratch stock to do it with. The lid needs
            > battens. And I think that's about it for now.
            >
            > Master William McNaughton, CL
            > http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood
            > (Pardon the glare off of the "CL." It's new. I'll have the shine worn
            > off of it shortly.)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to
            U.S./Canada

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dragano Abbruciati
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              Mary Rose chest - subtype 2.2.  I would not like Lord Will to ahev me drawn and quartered at KAS

              Various display/carrying chests for merchanting.   I'm working from the inside out.  I start with the product, design a display to keep from loading and unloding boxes, and then design a medieval chest around that.  So far, three designed - one prototype built.

              Medieval pull cart.  Designed to carry the aforementioned display/carrying chests.  Dimensions arrived at so that the cart will stand up in the back of a 4x8 enclosed trailer without having to remove the big wheels.  Very primative drawing so far.

              Oh - and I made some walking sticks at Gatalop XXI over the weekend.

              Dragano