ongoing projects

  • maf@gleichen.ca
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
      I just finished (last month) an inlayed end table for my mother-in-law ...
      so far only my wife has noticed that I managed to work part of my device
      into the inlay pattern. I've been working on a period pilgramage chest for
      myself, I have the wood working done on a very simple 6 board chest for a
      friend. Another friend mentioned that she started on the cloak broach for me
      (she's a gold smith professionally and mundanely and she traded me a silver
      broach for a chest), so since she finally started on the broach I guess I
      should start on her feast gear chest. I also turned (on a modern lathe) some
      pens for some friends in the SCA, all of them wanted something a little less
      "modern and obvious" then plastic bic pens, but now I've been asked to make
      some for local principality A&S officer so she doens't have to carry around
      a bic either... so I guess that should get done before the 23rd since that's
      principality A&S tourney and she want's it for when she has to walk around
      and judge.

      Cered

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
        *scribbling frantically on his everpresent "idea" pad*  Custom made feast gear chest!  Gotta think about that one.

        Dragano

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
          As you design your custom made feast gear chest, the word "small" should
          be included.

          I made one with all the features he requested for Master Saher, and it
          could hold garb for a weekend!
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood/projects/saherfeastbox/final.htm

          Not a good plan. The result: he doesn't use it much. Too bulky; too
          heavy.

          Master William McNaughton, CL
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          maf@... wrote:
          I guess I
          should start on her feast gear chest.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to
          U.S./Canada

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dragano Abbruciati
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
            LOL

            Thanks for the advice.

            My initial thought was something that could be carried like a picnic basket.  That chest you built would require quite a bit more "umph" to tote around than I am willing to expend.  As a traveling merchant, all of my feast gear is wooden, so protection against breakage is not an issue.  That should allow for a tighter fit within the chest itself.

            Dragano

            maf@... wrote:
            I guess I
            should start on her feast gear chest.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to
            U.S./Canada

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            � To visit your group on the web, go to:

            � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          • damienddjones
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
              I did that too. I'm thinking of cutting my chest in half to make two
              usable ones.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>

            • maf@gleichen.ca
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
                Her requirement was that it be like mine, wide and tall enough to use as a
                single person bench (no plastic chairs for this boy). Mine doesn't have a
                padded top, hers will since she has a car to fit it into and well I have a
                pickup and things get wet sometimes. Of course the group laughs because mine
                holds feast gear for 8, or 4 if I slip in the candle holders.

                Cered

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Ok mine is 20" wide x 12" deep x chair high. I'll post pictures when I get
                  the new back on it.

                  Cered