technical question

  • vinlandar <vinlandar@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      Hi, and Happy New Year!

      Can somebody tell me the useage differences between a 12" direct
      drive disc sander with a tiltable table and a 4" belt and 6" disk
      with tiltable table sander? I am trying to decide which one to aim
      for. They are both made by the same manufacturer, and the direct
      drive 12" disc is about $20 more expensive than the drum/disc. I
      can't figure out why the 'apparent' single job tool is more expensive
      than the 'apparent' dual job one. Perhaps someone will kindly
      explain to this novice the difference between these tools?

      This winter/spring I am going to design and build a jig for cresting
      and applying centered arrowheads to arrows for my longbow, doing a
      little carving and making some small wood boxes, and maybe try a
      simple chair if all is going well.

      No hangover, we've seen the apple come down before, it's a rerun ;-)
      so we went to bed early. :-))

      -Charlie
    • jrwinkler@msn.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Hey Charlie…

        Not knowing make and model, etc.  it’s a bit hard to tell… but several things go into the equation…

        1: Are there variable speed capabilities on either or both?
        2: What is the h.p./torque of the respective motors?

        As far as which one you select… well, depends on what you want to do with it.  That 4" belt (… we talkin' the Delta here??) gives you a nice flat surface with the belt moving in a single direction…  it can also (depending on model) give you a curve over which to sand…   The 6" disk is good… but a bit small when you consider that you can only really use 1/2 of the width of the disk… (the part turning down into the table)…  and of that 3"… maybe 2" of that far enough a way from the center to be funcitonal…

        The 12" disk doesn't have any curvish places for sanding… but… it does give you about 4.5" to 5" of sanding area on the disk…

        … but then again… heck… you could aways buy BOTH!!!  Winking smiley emoticon

        Chas.
      • vinlandar <vinlandar@cox.net>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          Chas,

          These are both Central Machinery tools. The 12" disc is a direct
          drive 1hp brushless motor, selling for $89.99. The disc/belt combo
          does not list a motor strength, but both the table for the disc and
          the belt portion tilt, the table to 45 deg and the belt to 90. That
          second sander is going for $69.99. All in all, the disc/belt combo
          sounds to the untrained ear like the better deal as it is
          considerably cheaper and seems to me to be able to do more. It WILL
          be a choice of one or the other at least for now.

          -Charlie

        • jrwinkler@msn.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            Ah-ha…  well… as noted in my previous post…there are some plus's and minus's on each side… but the combo systems do have a certain versatility…    Some 'Central Machinery' tools can be pretty good… some need a second look.   How sturdy are the benches that the piece will ride on?  Will they flex if you put a little "oomph" in your sanding (which we all do from time to time…)…

            The combo sander is going to have a relatively large number of parts compared to the direct drive system…  how well is it constructed…  … and one other thing…  see if you can get the dealer to let you plug it it and checkout how easy it is to center the 4" belt… and keep it there.   I've seen some of these where the belt has a nasty tendency to 'walk'…

            I'd also check out some other combo systems… see how they're constructed and compare it to the 'Central Machine' version…   most of the Chinese machinery are based on other systems… and then modified for construction and cost benefits…   sometimes they do a really good job… sometimes… ummmmm…..

            You might find that the C.M. system is perfectly good… or you might find that for an extra 20 bucks or so you can go with the same tool but one that may last a bit longer…

            Not all bargains are bargains…

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              --- "vinlandar <vinlandar@...>"
              <vinlandar@...> wrote:
              > Chas,
              >
              > These are both Central Machinery tools.

              Does anyone know much about Central Machinery?

              I've thought about one od their lathes...

              =====

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • vinlandar <vinlandar@cox.net>
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                Baron,

                An outfit named 'Harbor Freight' sells them in my area. I was given
                a small benchtop drillpress which seems really nice. Their tools
                seem to be copies of other brands made in China. The belt/disc
                sander I saw by Central Machinery looks an awful lot like another
                brand I saw at Home Depot, only about 25% less expensive. I THINK
                the brand at Home Depot was Delta, but I am not positive. For all I
                know, the two brands may both be made in the same factory,or use
                parts from a lot of the same suppliers.

                What Chas said about checking them out carefully makes sense. If I
                did an awful lot of woodworking, maybe a knockoff might not stand up
                as well as an original. Then again, maybe it might. Difficult to
                say, I guess. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

                -Charlie

              • jrwinkler@msn.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 11, 2003
                    >'Central Machine' is a Chinese export… [Delta are… or were until very
                    recently… made in… ummm… Missouri, I think… anyway, they wave the flag as
                    being 'American Made'…] Central Machine stuff are pretty much all
                    knock-offs of other designs.

                    Fine Woodworking, a number of years ago, did an article on buying imported
                    machinery, what to look for and what to watch out for. It was reprinted in
                    one of their, "Fine Woodworking on...." books, but I don't know which ones.
                    What I mostly remember was that the thing they seemed the most concerned
                    about was the thing you have the least ability to really check - the motor
                    and bearings. After that, they expressed dismay at cast iron stuff being
                    replaced with stamped sheet metal in some import tools.

                    Avery